Season Three Episode Sixteen

Conlan sat at the kitchen table, yawning

Conlan sat at the kitchen table, yawning. He and Anneli had stayed up late last night, or more accurately early into the morning, coming up with a plan.

Even once Anneli had fallen asleep, Conlan still found himself staring at the ceiling. The moonlight coming in from the window had beautifully illuminated her hair. And she had such a peaceful expression on her face. It took most of his willpower to not stare at her.

The Kaminoans had trained him better than this.

Conlan shook his head. He didn't need to be thinking these thoughts.

"You alright, Conlan?" Anneli asked, picking at the fruit on her plate. She appeared anxious, having hardly eaten anything.

"Yeah, sorry." Conlan finished his breakfast and stood to put the plate in the sink.

Behind him, the door swung open and in stepped Barric. He stomped his feet on the rug in the doorway, leaving behind flecks of dirt.

"Breakfast tasting alright?" he asked, looking between Conlan and Anneli.

"Delicious!" Anneli said, although she hadn't eaten any of it.

"Thank you, sir." Conlan nodded his head in gratitude.

"Sir, is there any way you could drive us to the nearest town? We can get transportation to a Republic planet from there."

Barric shook his head sadly. "Afraid not. My husband took our only speeder when he went into town looking for a repair man."

There was a glimmer in Anneli's eyes. "Perhaps we can fix your communication tower?"

Barric's eyes widened. "Could you?"

Conlan looked at Anneli. He knew how the insides of his blasters worked, how all the gears in a LAAT/i functioned, but he certainly didn't know how the insides of a civilian communication tower worked. "Could we?"

"Sure we can! I know how every ship in the Republic fleet works, and they have plenty of communication systems. This can't be much different." Anneli grinned, brimming with all the confidence Conlan wished he had.

While that was a beautiful speech, Conlan was still doubtful. Civilian and military machines were very different. Conlan prayed to whatever Force being or supernatural thing the Jedi staked their lives and culture on that Barric wouldn't get his hopes up— and then probably drive them off his farm with a pitchfork when they disappointed him and possibly made his tower even more broken.

Then he looked at the farmer and saw that it was too late for that.

Might as well try. Conlan shrugged. "I'm used to fixing things Knot broke."

~~~

Farm life seemed peaceful, but also boring. Conlan much preferred the never ending chatter of his brothers to the sound of farm animals.