Chapter 49) New Year's 2021

A few days passed and it was already inching closer to the new year. This year has been an absolute mess with COVID making its impact on the world and shutting down everything sport-related and even normal jobs; pretty much every place. Thankfully we were able to still perform in the Thunderdome although we could only see the fan's faces through computer screens.

We were preparing for the new year tonight and Ashley brought the both of us some champagne and the kids some sparkling grape juice.

"You excited for the new year?"

"Definitely. I hope that next year is better than this year."

"It should be, Ro." She smiled, "I know it's been a hard year for all of us, but thankfully we can spend the new year's together as a family regardless of this pandemic happening.

"Mommy, daddy, can I have some of your drink?" Loto asked, tugging at my leg.

"No, son. It's a grown-up drink."

"Grown-up drink?" He said, tilting his head in confusion.

"Yeah, you can't drink champagne or anything until you're twenty-one."

"Okay..." He dropped his head and sat down on the couch, swinging his feet around.

I looked at Ashley and pulled her to the side, "I feel kinda bad for him." I paused. "Say this, I'm gonna say the sparkling grape juice is champagne so he won't feel down tonight, just to lift his spirits."

"I don't know, Ro," She paused, "What if he notices that you're giving him grape juice instead of champagne?"

"Nah, he wouldn't. He's just a kid, babe."

"Right."

"Hey Loto, come in here for a second."

"Yes, Daddy?"

"Your mother and I agreed to let you have one, small sip."

"Really?"

I nodded, "One time only, son."

Loto took a small sip of the sparkling grape juice and thought he was tasting some champagne. Of course, I wouldn't give my kids anything alcoholic until they were legally twenty-one and they'd understand when they were a little older.

"Thank you, Daddy!"

"You're welcome son." I smiled.

We continued to prepare for New Year's as we brought out the decorations and drinks. We were still unsure if Jimmy, Jey and the rest of the family was going to make it to the party, but it was understandable if they couldn't make it.

"Did you text your cousins?"

"I was about to, along with my parents and maybe some of our co-workers?"

"That works, Ro." She smiled.

I texted my cousins and asked if they were going to make their way over to the house tonight for New Year's Eve. Thankfully, they were able to make it and we had to continue getting more champagne for them and the family. 

"The whole family's coming over."

"That's exciting!" She smiled, "Should we invite Dean, Renee, Dolph, Miz, Eva and Sasha?"

"I don't see why not."

Ashley quickly sent everyone a message and asked if they were coming over to the house for the New Year's Eve party. Miz couldn't make it because he was with his wife, Maryse, and his kids until we had to make it back to work. 

A few hours passed and we heard some knocking at the door.

"Mind if we come in?" Said Ambrose.

I opened the door, "Hey, bro! It's good to see you again!" I said, reeling him into a hug.

"I've missed you and Ashley so much. How's the kids?" Ambrose asked.

"They're doing great. How far is Renee in her pregnancy?" I asked.

"I'm actually a couple of months away from giving birth. I'm nervous!" She said.

"I'll give you some tips about getting them to sleep faster and everything after the party is over!"

I cackled, "Ashley over here loved sticking pickles in her peanut butter."

"Oh hush!"

"Ashley! Oh my god, it's so nice to see you again!" 

"Aw, it's nice to see you too, Eva. Where's Sasha?"

"She's in the car getting something out for you."

"Oh?"

"Surprise!" Sasha said with a huge gift in her hands.

"Sasha, I've missed you so much. How are you?"

"I'm doing great! I thought you'd love to have this small present that I picked out not too long ago. It's kind of like a late, Christmas present."

Ashley opened the present and it was a beautiful, huge Gucci handbag.

"No way! This is an amazing gift, Sasha

"No way! This is an amazing gift, Sasha. Thank you so much!"

"Anytime, girl!" 

We continued the rest of the party for the next few hours with snacks, champagne and watched Ashley catch-up with everyone. I could tell that she was missing the ring and missing all of our friends and hopefully soon, she'd want to make her huge return to the ring whenever she felt ready. 

New Year's Eve

As it was approaching midnight, all of us gathered around the TV in the living room and we were on the edge of our seats.

"Let's get ready to countdown to twenty-twenty-one!"

All of us were anxiously waiting for the countdown.

"10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1...Happy New Year!"

I leaned down and pressed my lips against Ashley's and we all took in this moment together and celebrated with some champagne and handed the kids some sparkling grape juice. 

"Happy New Year's everyone!"

"Happy New Year's!"

After the party ended and everyone went home, Ashley and I put the kids to sleep for the night and we enjoyed the rest of our night together.

"It's hard to believe that we're in a new year already." 

"Right? Everything went by so fast." I said, plopping myself down on the bed.

"You know, I'm gonna miss you in a couple of days when you have to leave back to work."

"I know." I said, leaning down and pressing my lips against hers, "Say this, I'll take you out on a date once I have a few days off."

"I'd love that, Ro."

"Also, I could tell that you missed hanging out with everyone."

"I really do. I miss being inside of the ring, seeing our friends and making memories like we used to."

"I had an idea; maybe soon, we can drop the kids off with my parents and you can return to the ring if you'd like. That is, if you're prepared."

"At least for another year, just to make sure."

"Alright." I smiled, "I love you."

"I love you too."