viii. 𝐈 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐡𝐞'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤

"I just don't understand why we're here

"I just don't understand why we're here. It feels like a trap." Sarah and Vance spent their Saturday hiking through the woods.

"Sarah, if I knew why we were here, we wouldn't be here." Vance said in return with an eye roll, moving a branch for it to snap her back in the face when he let go.

"So, we're just on our way to be hitchhikers for no reason?" she inhaled deeply, trying to watch where he was stepping so she could follow. "Or, at least to your knowledge, no reason?"

Vance huffed, stopping as he spun around and caused her to bump into him. "Do you want to go back?"

"Yes!" Sarah exclaimed with a wild look. "We're suppose to be Saturday Studying. But, no, of course not. You decide to just drag me into the woods for no reason and smack me in the face with a-"

Vance grabbed her arm when he saw it behind her head. "What's that?"

She turned back to follow his gaze, missing it entirely for a moment. Sarah went to question him before she fell upon what he was looking at, peaking out behind one of the large trees. Vance should have told her about Gwen, that she told them to come here. He wasn't sure why he didn't, maybe if he had, what happened in the next few months wouldn't have.

Sarah hurried down the hill, going into the creek. She never did enjoy muddy water, she thought it was gross to swim in and was worried she'd catch a disease. But, that didn't matter right now. Only thing that mattered was pulling the bicycle from out of the water as Vance stood behind her. "It's Billys."

Vance really wished he hadn't listened to Gwen now. His eyes bulged from his head when Sarah took off into the river. "Sarah!"

"Billy!" Sarah found herself yelling out for her best friend. She couldn't imagine he was just living down here for months, surviving off lake water when it was easy to get back up. But, she yelled for him anyways. Maybe to make herself feel better, or maybe because she thought he could actually hear her.

"Sarah, get out of the water!" Vance yelled from the bank, his shoes getting soggy from being so close. But, Sarah was getting deeper and deeper into the water, about to drop off. "Sarah! You better listen to me, you little-"

She disappeared under the water. "-shit."

Vance waited, he waited to see if she'd come back up. He couldn't tell if she went under willingly, or if the drop off took her under. He knew it was close to where she was, but then again she could have swam under at her own free will. He waited. He waited until he had to have known she wasn't coming back up. "Sarah!"

Right when he was about to go in after her, she swam up. She cough and gasped for a breath. "There's fishing line!"

"What!? Get out of the water!" he yelled at her.

"He could have gotten stuck in it." Sarah pushed her curls out of her face, loosing her shoes so she wouldn't feel so heavy.

"Sarah!" Vance yelled at her once again before she went back under. "Holy fuck!"