XXXIX. 𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐢'𝐥𝐥 𝐜𝐫𝐲 𝐢𝐟 𝐢 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨

۫ ּ  ִ ۫   ˑ ֗ 𓏲˖ 𑁍 ࣪ ִ ۫ ּ  ִ ۫   ˑ ֗
࣪𓏲ּ ֶָ ✩◿𝓓𝓣𝓐◸ 🂱 ࣪𓏲ּ ֶָ
CHAPTER THIRTY NINE—
it's my birthday and i'll cry if i want to.

۫ ּ   ִ ۫   ˑ ֗ 𓏲˖ 𑁍 ࣪ ִ ۫ ּ   ִ ۫   ˑ ֗࣪𓏲ּ ֶָ  ✩◿𝓓𝓣𝓐◸ 🂱 ࣪𓏲ּ ֶָCHAPTER THIRTY NINE—it's my birthday and i'll cry if i want to

January 23rd. Three months later. Aspen, Colorado.

"I think I ruined his birthday." Sarah whispered to Robin as they sat together.

"You didn't ruin his birthday." he promised her. "You can give him a kiss and make up for it."

Sarah have a look of disbelief as he rose his hands in surrender. "What about me?"

"Robin!" she scolded him.

"Hey!" he warned her. "Can't blame a player for trying."

Sarah gave a tiny smile as he wrapped his arm around her, letting her lean against his head. Robin was just a little taller then Gwen was, it made Sarah laugh at how much taller she was compared to the two of them. One day Robin would hit his growth spurt though, it was just a matter of time. Bruce or Finney weren't necessarily tall either, and Vance wasn't when he was here.

Vance.

Sarah shut her eyes. Sometimes her brain would move at a fast rate and she wouldn't think about him. But then he'd cross her mind and it felt like she was drowning again. She wished he'd given her a chance, just one chance to see him one final time before he shocked her heart that day at the pond. Sarah wouldn't feel so sunken in all the time.

Then again, she knew that if she really got to hold him one more time, she wouldn't wanna leave. Maybe that's why he sent her back so fast, because he knew how much she loved him and he knew she'd give it all up to stay. She would have. She'd have regretting it, but she'd have done anything to stay with him a little longer.

"Stop thinking about it." Robin nudged her. "Thinking about it isn't gonna change anything."

"I'm trying." she stood up and walked toward her window. "I'm so scared to be here all alone, Robin."

"Why? They're gonna love you." Bruce spoke as he leaned on the door way. "Plus, just a phone call away."

"It's not the same." she frowned, looking out at all the students walking to their classes in the court yard. "No one's gonna like me the way you guys do."

"Duh." Bruce scoffed form the doorway. "They aren't suppose to love you as much as we do. They're just suppose to love you until we all graduate and live in our California house."

Sarah smiled as she leaned forward and wrapped her arms around him tightly. Bruce put his hand on the back of her head as she held onto him tightly, squeezing her eyes shut. "I'm sorry for leaving you behind."

"You don't have to be sorry. I want what's best for you. And Denver is the worst place for you to be right now." he understood. Bruce always understood, even when no one else ever did. "It wasn't right just the two of us, anyways. Maybe this will be a chance for both of us to heal."