XL. 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞

۫ ּ ִ ۫ ˑ ֗ 𓏲˖ 𑁍 ࣪ ִ ۫ ּ ִ ۫ ˑ ֗
࣪𓏲ּ ֶָ  ✩◿𝓓𝓣𝓐◸ 🂱 ࣪𓏲ּ ֶָ
CHAPTER FORTY—
just a little mistake.

۫ ּ   ִ ۫   ˑ ֗ 𓏲˖ 𑁍 ࣪ ִ ۫ ּ   ִ ۫   ˑ ֗࣪𓏲ּ ֶָ  ✩◿𝓓𝓣𝓐◸ 🂱 ࣪𓏲ּ ֶָCHAPTER FORTY—just a little mistake

July.

Sarah felt the guilt hit her as she clutched the phone in her hand. Listening to it ring.

"Hello?" Bruce asked from the other line.

"Hey." Sarah smiled sadly.

"Sarah!" he cheered at the sound of her voice. "Okay, I know you were worried, but don't be. We have you all fixed up in the guest room, all your special snacks you get, and we even figured out a way to get mine and Finneys team on one tee for you."

Sarah smiled. "That sounds really great."

"Yeah?" he sat down on his bed. "Why does your voice sound like you're about to say something differently?"

"I'm sorry." Sarah apologized as she curled up in her bed. "I just-I don't think i'm gonna make it."

"What?" she heard the sadness in his voice. "But, we've been planning this for weeks now. It would be the first time you came home since last January. It's been eighteen months."

"I know. I really wanna be there for you guys, and to be able to see you." Sarah felt nothing but guilt as she spoke, but she had to. She just couldn't go back. "I'm sorry, Bruce. I really am. I just...I think it's too soon. I don't think i'm ready to come home, and see everything, have everyone talking about it."

Bruce exhaled from the other line, she heard it. "Okay. Okay, Sarah. It's fine."

"I'm sorry." she had to say it again. "You know I really want to be there, right? I really do....I just need a few more months."

"Yeah, I understand." but his tone said other wise. "It's fine, okay? I get it. But, I really gotta go. Practice is soon."

No, it wasn't. Sarah knew that as she nodded, despite him not seeing her. "Okay. I'll talk to you soon?"

"Talk soon." he agreed before the line went dead.

Truth was, Bruce completely understood where Sarah was coming from. The second she came back, she'd fall into a routine again. She'd be reminded too much of Vance and Billy right when she was starting to heal. It was too soon, eighteen months was too soon. They all said they thought Christmas would be the best, or maybe even be able to get her here for Thanksgiving.

The bottom line was he understood, it just upset him at the time. He missed her and talking over the phone each day wasn't cutting it anymore. He needed to see her, he needed to be hug her and make sure she was eating and sleeping okay. They had it planned perfectly, he'd be able to after eighteen long months. So, when she backed out just a day before the big game, it hurt his feelings.

Sarah had assumed that they weren't friends now. She assumed that when he stopped calling and stopped answering that it meant she'd really pissed him off by not coming. It didn't help that everyone in Denver agreed to an unofficial agreement to not tell Sarah about Bruce, let her believe they drifted until the time came and she was mentally stable enough to know he'd gone missing. They all hoped they'd just get him back before so they could avoid it as a whole.

That day never came though. Sarah spent four months thinking they weren't friends anymore, that he no longer wanted to talk to her. She spent four months asking about him on the phone with her friends and family, all for them to lie to protect her from hurting herself again. She had no one in Aspen, no one to pull her away from glass or protect her from herself. They did it to protect her, but it didn't make it right.

Four whole months. Four months without a word from Bruce Yamada.

kylie speaks

bitch i have such a huge
scene planned out. omfg.
like, it's not gonna be as good
as that plot twist or whatever
but it's gonna be a close second

like, it's not gonna be as goodas that plot twist or whatever but it's gonna be a close second