XVIII. 𝐉𝐨𝐢𝐧 𝐦𝐞 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐤 𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞?

"Sarah

"Sarah." Jason looked over when the police station doors opened up and she walked in. "You don't look like a legal guardian."

"Mr.Yamada went to get Leslie." she glanced around. "What's gonna happen to Vance?"

"Same thing that happens all the other times. Stands infront of a judge, pays a fin, stays ten feet away from the kid, banned from Grab N Go for a month, and just one step closer to juvie."

"Dad." Sarah scolded him. "Don't say that."

"I don't know what you want me to say, Sarah. It's just the truth, I don't have any control over it." he explained, not annoyed with her but annoyed that they had to do this again. "Do you realize why I don't want you around this boy now? You're my little girl."

"I'm not a little girl anymore." she broke the news to him, but she could tell it hurt him. "And that means I have to learn for myself. Vance is my friend, and I like him. And I'm sorry, Dad, but you can't always tell me who I can and can't be friends with. He needs me."

"He needs you?" Jason was taken back. "Schools almost over."

"I need him." Sarah corrected herself. "I'm not saying I support this behavior. But, you should trust me by now to know I wouldn't let someone else's actions inflict on myself. We're two different people, if we were the same we wouldn't be friends."

Jason stared at her. "I just wanna protect you, Sarah."

"Well, so does he. Even when he knew Billy was dead, he still pretended he wasn't for my benefit. Sounds a lot like protecting my feelings, if you ask me." she exhaled with a shrug. "See? You two have that in common."

Jason looked down the hallway. "I'll give you five minutes if you wanna see him. But, that's all. If i'm gonna trust you, you're gonna have to listen to my rules."

"Promise." Sarah smiled before hurrying down the hallway, quickly to avoid associating with anyone else locked up. She made it to the last cell that only had one person in it, a familiar mop of hair pacing. "Vance."

He turned his head. "Sheeps."

Sarah leaned against the bars with a smile as he came to meet her on the other side. "I've got five minutes. Your Moms on the way to sign you out but I stole my Dads wallet and sneakingly paid for your bail with his partner."

"Damn, maybe I am a bad influence on you." Vance breathed out as Sarah grinned, forcing him to grin back. "Your head looks better."

"No more Frankin-Sarah." she agreed. "How's life behind bars?"

"Comforting." he hummed. "What the outside like? Did we hit June yet?"

"Not yet, few more days." she nodded her head. "Last day of school is tomorrow."

"Thank fucking god." he hoped she wouldn't make a big deal when his index fingers touched her hands that were wrapped around the bars. "Guess our plan worked. They'd probably have told me by now if I was getting held back."