XLVIII. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐩𝐡𝐨𝐧𝐞

۫ ּ  ִ ۫   ˑ ֗ 𓏲˖ 𑁍 ࣪ ִ ۫ ּ  ִ ۫   ˑ ֗
࣪𓏲ּ ֶָ ✩◿𝓓𝓣𝓐◸ 🂱 ࣪𓏲ּ ֶָ
CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT—
the black phone.

۫ ּ   ִ ۫   ˑ ֗ 𓏲˖ 𑁍 ࣪ ִ ۫ ּ   ִ ۫   ˑ ֗࣪𓏲ּ ֶָ  ✩◿𝓓𝓣𝓐◸ 🂱 ࣪𓏲ּ ֶָCHAPTER FORTY EIGHT—the black phone

Sarah sprung to her feet and tackled Vance onto the ground. He huffed as they hit the ground and she landed ontop of him, her arms locked so hard around him that if he had potential to breath, she'd had squeezed every ounce of breath out of him. There it was, the sadness all the boys had but Vance never did, it was all building up for her as he held on right there in that mud.

"I'm sorry." she didn't move, but the longer she stayed quiet the more she thought that he wasn't there. "I'm so sorry."

"What are you sorry for?" he put his hand on her wet curls.

"For letting you get taken." she said back. "I should have made you stay with me instead of walking home in the middle of the night."

"It was gonna happen eventually, he knew it the whole time." Vance rolled her off of him so she laid next to him, facing each other. Sarah tried not to stare at the wounds. The broken nose that had blood on practically every inch of his face and was even staining a few strands of his hair, a cut on his neck, two across his stomach, one on his right leg, then the finger tip bruises all over his arms but the worst on the right. She didn't wanna think about it, but she had to.

Her hand came up and hesitantly laid on his face. She laid her head down against the ground, he did too as they sat there. Vance put his hand on her wrist that was holding his face. "You are such an idiot. Why would you purposely die? Again?"

"I know Bruce would be able to send me back like you did, because there's a storm coming." she said back. "I know it was stupid, but I was worried about...is Finney here?"

"No. He's not." Vance said, Sarah sighed in relief. "You're still so stupid. I can't believe you did that."

"I know." she whispered it, trying to wipe some of the blood but she remembered Billy told her their wounds were just that, their own wounds that couldn't be treated or felt by others. "I miss you so much. I looked for you when you went missing."

"I know. The boys told me." Vance said back, his thumb rubbed against the part of her wrist he was holding. "I miss you too."

Sarah gave him a soft yet so sad smile as her eyes got watery, cupping his face to rest her forehead on his. "Do you feel any pain here?"

"No, not here." he told her, squeezing her wrist as hard as he could. "You feel that?"

Sarah shook her head as Vance nodded. "I'm really glad you decided to go to Aspen. You're gonna go back, when we send you home."

Sarah hesitated. "I can't stay here with you?"

"You're really gonna leave Finney behind? And Gwen? And Bingo?" he listed off in disbelief. "No, you don't get to stay. I don't care what Bruce or Robin have to say about it. You didn't come to stay, you can't to make sure Finney was still alive."