XVII. 𝐀𝐧 𝐚𝐥𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐦𝐮𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐚 𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐛𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞

Over the course of a few weeks, things did get easier

Over the course of a few weeks, things did get easier. Sarah was still heartbroken, that said the least, but it wasn't as bad as it had been the night of the hospital. The gash on her head had healed and Mr.Yamada had taken her to her the stitches removed while her partners both worked. The doctor was easy with Sarah. "Okay, all done. That hurt?"

"No." Sarah gave a small smile. "Thank you."

"Sure thing." he held a bucket out. "Go on, don't tell me you're too old for a lollipop?"

Sarah grinned as she took two, offering one to Mr.Yamada as they walked out. "See. You were scared for nothing."

"How's it look?" she tilted her head toward him.

"Good as new." he shrugged his shoulders. "You wanna go back to school? I know it's after hours but a few teachers are still there if you need to catch up on anything?"

"Yeah, i've got a test." Sarah sighed as they pushed the door open and walked out. "Thanks for bringing me."

"Sure, I didn't wanna go to that conference anyways." the pair got into the car as it started up. "How are things at home?"

"They're okay." Sarah shrugged her shoulders. "My parents are worried i'm gonna hurt myself."

"Would you tell me if you were?" he asked her with a curious look.

"I wouldn't do that." Sarah promised, looking out the widow. There hadn't been any more of Billys missing posters up, Sarah had stopped putting new ones out and the rest got blown away with the wind or removed. "Will you be honest with me?"

"Sure." Mr.Yamada nodded his head.

"Do you think Billy is dead?" Sarah knew he was, but asking someone who was always honest with her felt right.

He frowned. "I think he might be, Sarah. I'm sorry."

"Yeah." she inhaled. "I wish we could just find his body. Maybe things would feel better. Or worse, I don't know."

"I know." he patted her head, it made her think of Vance. She missed Vance. She had gotten the space she requested, but after two weeks, she really missed him. "You know you can talk to me about anything, Sarah."

"I missed my trip to Aspen." she frowned. "It was just bad timing. With the accident, and all that stuff."

It felt weird referring to it as "Billys death" when there had been no body, no change aside from Gwen's vision. So, they just called it stuff. Just stuff Sarah now was accepting. Mr.Yamada nodded his head. "Don't you worry about that. I'll get you another tour."

"They do those?" she looked over at him.

"They do for special people like you." he took a turn. "Well, special people like me. I got offered a teaching position there, I'm not gonna take it but I can pretend to be curious so we can tour it together."