Chapter 4 Quick Decisions ✔️

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

"Hello?" I say, answering the call. 

"Sky." The familiar voice says, sighing heavily into the phone.

Maddox's eyes widen when I nod, letting him know that it is who we suspected on the other end. As I look across the table, I am thankful that Maddox is sitting there and that River and Drew aren't in here right now.

Maddox mouths for me to put him on speaker while he is still typing on his phone. I am sure he is already busy messaging in to see if he can get someone to run  some kind of trace. 

"Where are you?" I ask, trying to keep my voice from shaking. 

I am proud of myself for how calm I sound. I steady my heart rate as best I can, knowing this is what I have to do. 

"Oh, I am close, Flower; don't worry." He croons. 

"You know we will find you, John, and when we do..."

"Tsk tsk, little Sky, don't get ahead of yourself. My reach is far beyond what you could ever even imagine." His words cause a shiver to run down my spine. 

It is certainly far enough to help you escape what is supposed to be the most secure prison in the country. I think to myself. 

"I swear to God, John, if you even try..." I start to say instead. 

"Did you enjoy my gifts, Sky?" He asks, completely ignoring everything I am saying and instead asking his own questions. 

"So it was you who sent them?" I ask when Maddox gestures and mouths for me to keep him talking as long as I can. 

"Oh yes," he says his breathing heavy.  "I have had over four long years to sit all alone thinking of you, Skylar. And what a lonely four years it has been; do you know how long..." he says, not finishing his statement, but it doesn't take much for me to imagine where his sick mind is going. "Did it fit?" He asks, and I can hear the slobbery sound of him licking his lips. 

"What?" I ask, pretending not to know, swallowing back the bile that has risen into my throat. 

"The lingerie? Did it fit?" He asks again, this time specifying. 

"I threw it out." 

"Well, that's ok, I suppose. It wasn't like I could do more than imagine you in it, anyway. And the thought of that hot headed bastard seeing you in it... well, no matter, but now, well, I'm here now, and we will be reunited soon enough, my pretty Flower, and..." 

"I don't think so, John. If you even think to try anything, you will be dead before you can ever touch me." 

"Oh, Sky, listen to you. How mouthy youve become. How much you've grown up these last three years. Make me excited to see how many other ways that you've matured since I've been away." He says it in a lust-filled voice that causes me to shudder all over.  "I'm sure all of the pictures don't begin to do you justice." 

I look across the table at Maddox, who looks like he is now having trouble staying calm and quiet. 

I see him noticeably bite hard into his cheek, his face crimson. 

"You're a sick son of a bitch, you know that Stevens?" I spit.

"Ummm, feisty. I like it. I bet you are a nasty little devil in the sheets." He practically moans.

Maddox's fist clenches tightly on top of the table, and I stifle a gag. 

"Well, I hate to run Flower, but I think our private chat has become a little less private. See you soon." He says as he hangs up.