Chapter 20 Raised Voices ✔️

A/N

This chapter as well as the next few are told from Sky's POV, here's your warning that this chapter contains mentions of suicide and SA.

Nothing too explicit.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

So.....

What are you thinking of the book so far?

If you are loving it or hating it... tell me what part you love or hate the most.

What about chapter 14?😏

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

The sounds of their raised voices wake me.

Not that I was sleeping too soundly anyway.

Truthfully, every little thing—and I mean every little thing—wakes me.

Every noise, every creaking board, or rustling branch.

But despite my restlessness, I do allow myself to sleep as much as I possibly can.

I will need it.

I will need to garner all of the strength that I can, and any little rest I can manage will go a long way when the time comes for me to escape.

I am constantly coming up with possible ways, multiple scenarios, and what may happen if and when I do.

But I know it isn't possible, not yet. I have to be patient. Wait for the perfect time.

I have gotten rather good at being able to distinguish which voice belongs to whom this last week, ever since I have been upstairs.

Being in my largely unchanged old bedroom is a gigantic mind-fuck, though.

I am surrounded by familiar things. Things that belonged to me long ago—things that once brought me so much peace, comfort, and joy—now only exist, serving as reminders of the lies I have lived through.

"I don't know why you keep him around, John." Tank says.

"Because he has a debt to pay. If it wasn't for him, I would have never been locked up in the first place."

"But what the hell is he doing here? I don't mean any disrespect, boss, but he acts like he is the one in charge here."
Rich says, and his voice sounds extremely aggravated.

"That's the beauty. You see? Marvin sometimes thinks he is still the one with the upper hand. Still the one in charge. But he's not." I can almost hear the sly smile in John's words. "This has been a long time coming. A hell of a long time."

"You've got a plan?" Rich asks.

"I've always got a plan, boy. I have always had a plan."

Their voices fade for a few minutes, and I know that they have either moved their conversation to another room or outside on the side porch.

Still, I sit quietly by the door with my ear pressed against it and wait to see if they return.

It isn't long before that is exactly what happens.

"So what are we going to do with the broad?" Stanley asks.

"Boss, has plans for her too." Rich laughs. "He just has to get the old man out of the way first."