Chapter 5 Darkness✔️

A/N

This chapter will be a bit shorter than the previous ones but I felt that it was necessary to make it its own chapter versus adding it onto another.

I hope you all are enjoying the book so far and stick around for the remainder.

It's only going to get better from here.

❤️

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

The bag goes over my head, and I swing blindly in all directions, my fight or flight mode kicking in.

The last time I was in a somewhat similar situation was when I was attacked at gunpoint by Harvey, the night that set all of the events into motion that led us to where we are now.

I have received an exorbitant amount of training, both unofficially and officially, ever since then. I was no longer the same naive, defenseless little girl I once was, but even with a hell of a lot of experience under my belt, I can already tell that I am no match for my attacker, but I refuse to just let myself be taken easily.

I know that my family is still just outside, and if I can just make enough noise to alert them, or when they realize that I am gone, no doubt they will come to me. And if not, then I am not going to do anything to possibly put them more at risk.

All of this combined with my training allows me to stay calmer than I normally would, but admittedly, I am still afraid.

Afraid of what may happen. What John, or whoever he has hired to grab me, will possibly do to me before Drew and the others even get to them.

But mostly, I am afraid—not for myself but for them. The thought of something happening to any one of them is more than I can stomach.

So when John's voice whispers harshly in my ear, not to make a sound.

I listen.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

I am being forced to walk.

The small, cold metal barrel of a gun pressed firmly against my back, scratching and digging into my skin.

We walk quickly and with purpose forward, out into the night air.

I can tell from the sound of our footsteps that I am being led through the house and out of the back door.

We walk down the four steps off the porch, and from the crunch of the leaves and twigs beneath my feet, I can tell he is now leading me through the woods.

Of course he is.

This is the only way out of here that doesn't involve going straight past everyone else and being seen.

The woods are so dense that I know once we are inside that the chances of them finding us before we are gone are extremely slim, even if they notice more or less immediately that I am gone.

"Skylar!" I can hear Maddox and River's panicked voices calling out.

What really shatters me, though, is Drew calling out to me, his voice full of both anger and worry. "Skylar! Can you hear me? Where are you?" So close yet so far away, I can literally feel his heart breaking.

"Princess!"

I tense nearly halting my steps at the sound.

"Keep moving, Flower." John says nudging me forward with the gun, pushing it further into my spine.

A stream of hot, silent tears falls from my eyes and down my cheeks as he leads me, zigzagging me, back and forth through the trees.

The way he moves lets me know he has taken this path before. He knows the way.

I try my best to keep track of the approximate distance we walk, the limbs and things we cross over, the feel of things my body brushes against, and the atmosphere of the things around me, taking in as many of these details as I can, knowing that no matter how insignificant they may seem, they can hold clues to where I am being taken, where I end up, and ultimately how I may get away.

After at least half a mile of zigzaging through the woods, John abruptly stops.

I hear the sound of a trunk latch being popped.

He grabs my arms, binding them at my wrists. He bends down, doing the same with my feet, despite my resistance.

He removes the bag from my head and immediately replaces it with a ballgag.

As soon as the bag is removed, I look around, trying to see anything around me that could serve as an identifying factor.

The only thing I can tell for sure is that we are at the edge of the woods. We are somewhere on the road that is opposite the side of the hill our houses are on, the opposite side of where the road we travel back and forth to town is.

My stomach drops a little, knowing that this isn't the way they will be taking.

By the time they get here, we will already be long gone.

It is now that the reality of the situation really hits me.

I am being abducted.

John Stevens is taking me, and they won't be able to stop him.

I don't know if this is the beginning of the end of my life or not, but I know that I am going to do everything in my power to make sure that it isn't.

Drew and River aren't around to protect me this time.

It will now be solely up to me to protect myself.

John picks me up with ease, despite my wiggling body, and lays me in the trunk of the car.

My legs scrape against the side of the trunk, putting long scratches on my legs.

The pain of the rough metal scratching the surface of my skin stings like fire, but I don't react.

He turns my body so that I am facing him instead of the back of the trunk.

His face is illuminated by the light of the moon, and the trees cast eerie shadows on his already vile face.

A sickening smile spreads across it as he looks down at me, staring.

"Oh, Sky, we are going to have so much fun." He grins.

He slams the lid down hard, rattling me and leaving me again in the pitch-black darkness.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇