Chapter 6

In the car,

"You and Pete were childhood friends, right? Tell me all the things you used to do together," asks Vegas, smiling widely in the backseat, sitting beside Pete who was glaring at Vegas knowing full well, the intention behind that question.

"Uh, Khrap, we have known each other since middle school. our families live quite close together so we went to each other's houses often, played video games, Phi taught me how to ride the bicycle, and we would often go to the beach and collect mud crabs together and grill them right there at the beach. Phi was the first person I would go to when I run into problems at school. Phi was like my protector, although I am taller and stronger than him now." chuckled Daeng, looking at Pete in his rearview mirror, and accidentally making eye contact with Vegas who was smirking back at him.

"Well I don't know about stronger, Pete used to be the head bodyguard of the main family, don't let his looks deceive you, he is an expert assassin, he has killed thousands of people both with his gun and his bare hands. You should have seen the way he attacked me last mo.."

"STOP! He gets it, I am strong, don't say anything anymore.," says Pete feeling embarrassed and putting his hand over Vegas's hand to stop him from talking further.

"Uh, yes yes, I have the utmost respect for Phi, he is the reason my mother wanted me to work for Khun Kinn, just so I could stay under his care again."

"Really? stay under his care huh? Well, I'm glad I took you in as my bodyguard then. Pete will be able to take proper care of you now, won't you Pete?" says Vegas glowering at Pete with his jaws clenched. The veins on his neck bulged and twisted as he kept staring at Pete.

Pete didn't reply and stared out of the window, feeling helpless that he can't make Vegas trust him. He knows that after what Vegas went through in life, it will take a lot more time for him to see the goodness in people. It will require Pete to give him more love and affection to truly make him feel secure and safe in this relationship. Pete hates the fact that he can't read Vegas's mind, Vegas has still built up a wall around him that he can't seem to penetrate. Pete felt gloomy thinking about how little trust Vegas has in their relationship.

"Hi Bro! Long time no see, good to see you all hail and hearty! You were in a fucking coma the last time I and Rose came to visit you at the hospital." says Benz, hugging Vegas tightly and taking his face in both his hands to examine him closely.

"Well as you can see, no scratch no scar, it's as if it never happened!" says Vegas grinning and hugging back his best friend Benz.

"Hi Phi, I thought you had forgotten us, you stopped coming to get togethers, and stopped replying to my texts. You've never been like this before. I really missed you, you know!", Rose makes a long face at Vegas and hugs him tightly nuzzling in his chest.

Vegas pushes her away, "Umm, you guys already know what's been going on in my life. I am grateful for this guy by my side, I wouldn't even be alive if it wasn't for him." Vegas grabs Pete's waist and pulls him closer to him kissing him on the cheek.

"Hello, Pete, we've met before at the Hospital haven't we, let me formally introduce myself again, I am Benz, Vegas and I have been childhood friends for ages. Our mothers were best friends too. I am also the co-owner of our vintage car business. I and Vegas started it about five years ago."

"Hello, Benz, nice to meet you, sorry I was too preoccupied with other things when you came by at the hospital last time, so I couldn't greet you properly," says Pete graciously shaking hands with Benz.

"Uh, Hello Phi Pete, I am Rose, Phi and I used to date in Uni but now we are just friends," said Rose in an abrasive tone extending her hand at Pete.

Pete understood the intention in her words. He wanted to laugh loudly at her childish jealousy, it was clear that she was still not over Vegas.

"Hi Rose, Vegas never mentioned your name, maybe he forgot about you. My cheeky husband has dated hundreds of people, I doubt he even gave a second thought to his relationships before he met me, isn't it baby?" Pete rejects Rose's hand and turns to look at Vegas instead, who was sitting beside him in the VIP booth.

"Uh, yeah, Pete is the only guy I've ever seriously considered being with, and the only person I'll be with in the future." Vegas smiles at Pete and kisses his hand reassuring him.

Pete also smiles lovingly at Vegas and then looks over at Rose who was sitting across them watching bitterly.

"Phi, I thought you really loved me, I didn't realize you were not serious with me. we dated for 500 days, every day of our time spent together was so precious to me and now you are saying that you were just playing with me?" Rose complained to Vegas as her voice cracked and tears welled in her eyes.

Pete stared at Rose amusingly, he wanted to bash her head repeatedly with the glass of whiskey in his hand. As she was talking, Pete imagined her drenched in blood, arms dislocated, legs bent out of shape as he repeatedly bashes her head with a baseball bat.

Vegas lightly pats Rose's head and says,

"I know I played with your feelings, but I am a changed man, you are a good person Rose, you gave me a lot of emotional support during difficult times, that's why I consider you one of my close friends, now stop with the tears, we are here to celebrate and officially welcome Pete into the family."

"Yes, Yes of course, sorry I got a bit emotional."

"Cheers to Vegas and Pete, and their partnership for life," said Benz as everyone clinked their glasses together.

At the second-family house.

Knock-Knock

"Oh Hey Chay, come in, What's up?"

"What were you doing Phi" asked Chay as he sat on Macau's bed.

"I was just finishing up revising for a test tomorrow, tell me, how was your first day at uni today?"

"It was great Phi, So many people came up to talk to me after you introduced me to the buddy, he even gave me all the notes so I am feeling much more relaxed now," says Chay feeling content.

Macau's heart stirs looking at Chay's radiant smile, he swallows a big gulp of saliva and says,

"That's amazing, I wouldn't expect anything less from a rockstar like you. I am sure pretty soon, you will be the most popular guy on campus."

"I am not sure about that Phi but I need you to help me with something."

"Help you with what?" says Macau in a relaxed tone thinking whatever it is, he will do anything for this guy. Even if Chay asked Macau to jump off the bridge and die, he will gladly do it.

"I need you to pretend to be my boyfriend."

"What the fuck??!!"