Chapter 25

"Phi! Phi! Phi stop!!"

"Oh Hey Chay, sorry I had my AirPods in so I didn't hear you. Are you okay?"

Beads of sweat form on Chay's forehead as he pants heavily, trying to catch his breath after running toward Macau for five minutes straight. "I'm fine...I...I just saw you walking to the cafeteria and I hadn't seen you in quite some time so I thought..I'd just say hello."Chay says in between heavy breaths.

"Do you want to sit? here, have some water." Macau opens his backpack and offers his water bottle to Chay. Chay grabs the bottle and gulps down all the water as he walks over to a bench on the side of the road.

"Thank you, Phi. How is your arm now? Does it hurt?" Chay looks over at Macau's arm and is relieved to see that he is no longer wearing a cast.

"It doesn't hurt anymore. It's all healed up now." Macau says, offering a courteous smile.

"Phi, Why did you stop me from coming to the hospital to see you? and why don't you talk to me anymore? I feel like you are deliberately avoiding me." Sadness clouds Chay's eyes, his brows are furrowed. He gazes deep into Macau's eyes, searching for the same longing that he feels for Macau.

Macau's eyes shift uncontrollably as Chay confronts them with questions."I am sorry if it felt like I was avoiding you. I just needed some time to process everything that's happened. It was really hard for me, but I am over it now." Macau smiles politely.

His smile frustrates Chay, it's evident that Macau has created a wall between them that is hard to penetrate. Macau's intentions are clear to Chay, he wants to distance himself from him.

Chay's eyes well up with unshed tears, "Phi, I...". Before Chay could finish his sentence, Macau's phone starts to ring. He takes it out of his pocket and looks at the name flashing on the screen. Chay also reads the name, 'Alice' written on his phone screen. "Sorry, I have to take this."

"Khrap, Alice."

"Yes, why don't you order for me, I will meet you there in five minutes."

"Yes,"

"Yes, I would like that,"

"Yes, see you soon."

"Bye."

"Uhm, Chay I have to go right now. It was good to see you. You look good, I am glad you are happy now." Macau gets up and starts to walk away but Chay suddenly grabs his hand, "Phi, WAIT, WAIT!"

"Why are you leaving? I want to talk to you."

"I am sorry, I have to go."

"Phi STOP, STOP! How can you be...How can you be so cold toward me? How can you?.. Who were you talking to? Are you dating her?" Chay's voice starts cracking under the weight of his emotions. Tears stream down his face, as he struggles to keep his composure.

"Chay, are you crying?" Macau feels a familiar piercing pain in his heart. He still cannot stand the sight of Chay feeling sad. "No, No, No, don't do this, don't do this again, I have just got up on my feet, don't make me fall into the abyss again. Don't, don't go soft on him, you have Alice waiting for you, Alice is waiting for you, she is a nice person, she is pretty, she is good for you, she understands your pain, don't fall for this, don't fall for this." Macau's head hurt as his inner voice pleaded with him not to succumb to Chay's pull on him.

Chay slowly moves closer to Macau and rests his head on his chest. "Phi..Phi..don't go, don't go to her." Macau's hands involuntarily clench into fists as he tries to stay composed and not let Chay's innocent eyes dictate his emotions anymore. "I'm sorry Chay, I have to go, and yes, I am dating now. We shouldn't meet anymore. You are with P'Kim. He won't like it if he saw you like this with me." Macau gently removes Chay's arms that were holding on to his waist and walks away.