Chapter 14

Vegas wakes up to the sound of a giant rooster crowing outside his bedroom window. He rubs his eyes and looks at the time on his watch. It was half six in the morning.

Lying in bed alongside Pete, Vegas thought that living in the country is not so bad. He could get used to the quietness around him. He sits upright and draws in a deep breath,  taking in the crisp morning air and feeling much lighter, as compared to yesterday. 

"Pete really controls the way I feel about myself. When did having him by my side become so crucial to my existence?" contemplates Vegas as he gently strokes Pete's hair, who is sleeping soundly beside him. 

"Mmmm..what time is it?"

"Still very early, sleep some more." 

Vegas lays down beside Pete, tightly hugging him, and pulls the warm blanket over their faces. 

It was 9 in the morning,  by the time Vegas and Pete slowly woke up and come down to have breakfast with Yaai and dtaa. Daeng was helping yaai bring over the dishes to the dining table. Pete and Vegas say their greetings to grandma and grandpa and sit down to have breakfast with them. 

"Phi, where did you disappear to last night? I woke up at 4 am to drink water as my throat was itching and the bed was empty." Daeng says as he stuffs his face with the meatball soup and rice.

Vegas clenches his fists and glares at Daeng,  he opens his mouth to say something when Pete interrupts him. 

"I went to sleep in Vegas's room."

Yaai and dtaa look at Pete with puzzled expressions. "Was your own bed not comfortable? You have always slept in it since you were a baby. Why did you have to go and disturb the guest? says Yaai as she slices a giant watermelon along its width and cuts triangular pieces arranging them on a wide plate. 

"Yaai, Dtaa I want to share something with you both." Pete holds Vegas's hand and they both walk over to the other end of the table where Yaai and dtaa were sitting. Pete kneels on the floor and pulls Vegas's hand, gesturing him to sit beside him. Vegas also kneels on the floor beside Pete. 

Looking at Pete and Vegas's position, Yaai and Dtaa realize that there is something serious going on, so they straighten themselves and sit attentively. Daeng understood what was going on and rises from the breakfast table and goes to stand at the corner of the room. 

"Yaai, Dtaa this is hard for me to say, and probably hard for you to hear, but I have to say it now because I have denied this part of me for a long time and I don't want to hide it from anyone anymore. Pom pen key (I am gay) and  I am dating Vegas, and he is not my colleague, he used to be my boss. I am really sorry, I should not have lied to you both before, I just got so nervous when I saw your faces, I couldn't tell the truth.....", Pete keeps his head down and talks almost incoherently as tears start flowing from his eyes.

Pete's grandma sits down on the floor across from Pete and gently lifts his chin up, wipes his tears, and says, "So you mean,  you and Khun Vegas are like Tharn and Type from TharnType? Why were you so afraid to tell us this before? we already know. Your Yaai and dtaa are Yserie fans, we watch them all and love them all. How could you think we won't accept you? We already know you are Key(gay)" 

Pete looks at Vegas in disbelief, Vegas also looks back at Pete,  both stunned at Yaai's reaction. They look at Dtaa who was smiling knowingly at them. "How did you..How did you know I was gay, I myself didn't know I was gay until I met this guy." Pete points at Vegas as he stares at Yaai and dtaa completely shaken. 

"Lu Kon Chan (my child), parents always know. I have raised you since you were three years old, how could I not know? I even know that guy standing there in the corner is also gay, so don't worry son, I will support you and love you no matter what." Yaai said as she hugged Pete.

Daeng who was standing in the corner holding an empty glass of water suddenly dropped it out of shock. 

"Uh, yaai what are you saying? I am not gay? I am not..." Daeng stumbles forward as he looks at Vegas who was looking furiously at him. 

"See, right now you are behaving just like Type, he also kept saying he is not gay, he is not gay, and then we all know what happened, isn't it tii-rak (my love)? Grandma says as she looks over at her husband. Grandpa nods and smiles at his wife. 

" We all know what? who is we? who is Tharn and Type? You are not making any sense Yaai." panics Daeng as he keeps looking at angry Vegas out of the corner of his eyes. 

"Uh huh, you want me to tell you the story of Tharn Type? okay listen, Tharn and Type are roommates in university, one day what happened was...."

"Uhh Yaai, it's okay, it's okay, you don't have to explain the whole story. We get it. So you and dtaa are blessing our relationship?

"Of course we are, we will always be indebted to the entire Theerapanyakul family for blessing this village with prosperity and kindness, it will be an honor to have our grandson be the son-in-law of this prestigious family." grandma says as she takes Pete's hand and places it on Vegas's hand.

"Khun Vegas, today I am adding one more member to our family. I am as much your grandma as I am Pete's. I know you make my grandson happy otherwise,  he would never have come to us and told us everything so resolutely. You see, because of my absolute loser of a son, Pete grew up to be the boy who always hid his pain behind his smile. He never caused any trouble outside and never shared any of his personal problems with us. I worried for him so much because I knew that even if he is in pain, he would never come to me or his grandpa. But today, he has come to us and shared such a significant part of his life with us, it shows how much courage you give him and how much you love him."

"I will always make Pete happy Yaai, no matter what,"  Vegas responds with a big heartfelt smile, as he holds Pete's hand tightly. 

"Today is one of the happiest days of my life, I am calling everyone I know. We are going to have a big celebration tonight!" grandma exulted as she pulls out her cell phone and starts dialing her relative's number on the phone. Pete squeezes Vegas's hand and smiles affectionately at him. 

Vegas heaved a sigh of relief and hugged Pete. Everyone went back to sit at the breakfast table and ate joyfully except Daeng. He seemed to have lost his appetite. He excuses himself and goes back to his room saying he will go ahead and get prepared to go for the meeting they had planned to go to today. 

After eating, Grandma brings out a heavy photo album, full of Pete's pictures from his childhood. Pete and grandma sit down together on the living room floor and start looking through them. Pete calls Vegas to show him the album but Vegas says he is going up to his room for a smoke. 

Vegas goes into Pete's old bedroom and sees Daeng sitting on an armchair, looking through his phone. the back of the chair was facing the bedroom door. Vegas quietly enters the room and stands behind Daeng. He could see what Daeng was looking at on his phone. Daeng was flipping through Pete and his teenage pictures on the phone, stopping at each one and zooming in on Pete's face.

"You know, having a crush like that could actually get you killed."