Chapter 19

Pete jolts up as soon as he hears that Vegas has asked Daeng to chop off all of his fingers. He quickly puts his trousers back on and tries to reason with Vegas.

"Vegas, listen to me, You are not asking Daeng to cut all of his fingers off, this is insane, he is like a younger brother to me. I know what he said was wrong, he knows nothing about you, consider it an ignorant mistake. Just forgive him once. His mother cradled me when I was a little boy, she has played the part of my own mother who had died after giving birth to me, how will I show my face to her if my own boyfriend does such a cruel thing to him?" Pete is sitting on the floor, kneeling in front of Vegas, his palms resting on Vegas's knees.

Vegas rubs his temples, annoyed at not being able to give Daeng the punishment he deserved because of Pete. After contemplating for a while, Vegas takes Pete's innocent face into both of his palms and looks fondly at him. He takes out a 2mm Pistol from the back pocket of his jeans and places it in Pete's hand.

"I am going down to the kitchen to make some snacks for you, as its already past lunchtime, so do what you want with this, but I must hear a gunshot within the next ten minutes, I will come up after 10 minutes and If I don't see a bullet in Daeng's body, I will use my kitchen knife to cut all of his fingers off, so you make the decision." Vegas kisses Pete on his forehead and walks downstairs into the kitchen.

He busies himself with making a Som Tum salad, while upstairs, Daeng rushes up to Pete and hugs him, crying hysterically.

"What have you gotten yourself into Phi? this man....this man is not normal Phi. Today he is doing this to me out of his insane jealousy, tomorrow he can do this to you too. I am scared for you Phi." Daeng says in a panicked voice.

"Don't worry about me, I am going to shoot you right now, it will hurt a bit but you will be fine after a while."

"Phi, are you crazy?? what has he done to you? what kind of a dystopian world are you both living in? Do you think shooting me like this is normal? I came to work into this family hoping for a better life, hoping to bring my family out of poverty as you did, do you think I deserve to get shot like this for absolutely nothing?" Daeng couldn't believe that Pete would go through with Vegas's command and actually shoot him. He was hoping that Pete would find an escape for him but it turned out to be completely opposite of what he thought.

"I am doing this for your own good. Do you think if I help you escape right now, Vegas will never find you? You couldn't be more wrong because Vegas will come after you and he will find you even if you went to the moon, so escaping is not an option for you. Just take this hit and stay loyal to the family. You will do fine." Pete says in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Phi, Has he done some black magic on you? I can't believe the things that you are saying and what..what you did just now..with him, he is abusing you Phi, he..he forced himself on you and you didn't defend yourself, instead you..you.." Daeng is unable to put into words what he just saw Vegas doing to Pete so he holds Pete's hand and tries to convey his emotions to him, without saying anything and just looking at him helplessly.

"Phi, I am going to jump out of this window, and if you truly ever considered me your friend, you will let me go." Daeng kisses the back of Pete's hand and turns around to climb through the window, but as soon as he begins walking, Pete aims the pistol at the back of Daeng's leg and fires a shot. 'Bang!!!'

Vegas hears the sound of the bullet and smiles while plating the salad into two small bowls. He brings the bowls to the living room and places them on the coffee table in front of the sofa.

Pete walks over to Daeng and crouches down on the floor in front of him. "Trust me, this is for your own good, now don't ever say silly things without thinking of the consequences first, and if you ever disrespect Vegas in front of me again, the bullet will be aimed at the center of your head. Now call the ambulance yourself, I am going to eat the snack my husband made for me." Pete smirks at Daeng and leisurely walks downstairs to meet Vegas. Daeng grimaces in pain and fumbles around in his trouser pocket to fish for his phone.