Chapter 22

After having their dinner in the hospital room with Macau, Vegas, and Pete come back home. They are relieved to know that Macau can be released from the hospital in a few days' time. Pete calls Kinn and tells him about the situation with Kim, Macau, and Chay. They both agree that it would be better if Kinn tells Porsche about it,  instead of Porsche hearing it from someone else. Kinn also understood why Pete had to beat up Kim, although Pete did apologize to Kinn out of respect for him and the main family.

"My uncle killed that man in the village we were supposed to talk to. He knows we are after him."

"What?" 

"Yes, come here." Pete climbs into bed and immediately scoots over to Vegas's side resting his head on his arm and covering both of them with the warm and fluffy blanket. 

Vegas hugs Pete tightly and buries his face in his hair, taking deep breaths in and sniffing his head. Snuggling with Pete immediately relaxes Vegas, and suddenly his eyes feel heavy as all of the day's tiredness takes over. Vegas smiles thinking that in all thirty years of his existence, he has never been able to sleep so soundly at night, he would always lay awake at night tossing and turning and eventually had to depend on sleeping pills that would only help him get a few hours of sleep before he woke up exhausted and delirious. But ever since Pete came into his life, Vegas has been sleeping like a baby, he only slept like that when his mother was still alive. 

After a few moments of snuggling in Vegas's chest, Pete looks up at his face to see that Vegas has fallen asleep, he smiles and gently pinches Vegas's eye to open it. "Are you sleeping?"

"Yes, baby," Vegas replies lazily.

"Tell me everything that Porsche said on the phone, and when are they coming back from Italy?"

"He said that Khun Korn, probably knows that we are looking into his past and trying to find out what exactly happened between him, my father, and Porsche's mother. So before we could talk to that old man in the village, Korn got him killed. They are coming back tomorrow."

"I think we should lie low for a while, I don't want the main family to come after us again." Pete says in a serious tone.

"Porsche said the same thing, I think it's best for everyone to just keep out of his sight for a while until he believes that we have given up on the idea of finding out the truth." 

"Did you speak to Daeng? How is he doing?"Pete feels a tinge of guilt for what he did to Daeng, he never thought that he would ever have to do that to a childhood friend. Pete thinks that maybe he has become too desensitized to violence. Working for the main family for the past ten years, Pete has seen all kinds of violence in the mafia world, even the bodyguards thought that getting violently punished by the bosses is a right of passage for them, something they had to go through to be respected amongst the other bodyguards. Even Pete himself was shot by Khun Kinn once in the knee for letting a debtor go when he was asked to kill him.

"I spoke to the doctors, the bullet just grazed his leg its nothing too serious, he will be back in a couple of days. I know you purposely did that." Vegas says playing with Pete's fingers.

"Are you angry?"

"No, I know you are a good person. The more I am with you, the more I realize that being a good human being is not that hard. I used to think it was impossible for me to care about people, the more uncaring I was, the more emptiness I felt inside me. I don't know anything other than violence. I don't know if  I have anything to show for myself apart from being vicious and conniving. I saw my brother get beat up for the first time today, old me would have immediately shot Kim in the head, but I couldn't shake this feeling of guilt towards Macau, the more bad things I do, the more it comes back around to haunt my loved ones. I don't want my bad karma to affect you or Macau."