Chapter 24

"Hey, Porsche!"

"Where's Pete? I thought he was coming with you?" Porsche says signaling for the waiter to come in and take their drinks order.

"He had to go over to oversee management at the Casino, the manager is off-sick today. I have already filled him in so he knows about everything I'll be telling you today. By the way, do you miss working here?" Vegas asks Porsche as he fishes out a packet of smokes from his jeans and lights one.

Porsche gestures for Vegas to give one stick to him, Vegas lights one stick from the packet and gives it to Porsche. "Yes, and no. I don't miss the work but I do miss not having to think about every move I make, I miss the freedom, I miss being carefree and just cruising through life."

"My brother has tied you down huh?" Vegas smiles at Porsche, taking a sip of his favorite scotch.

"This wicked smile of yours feels very familiar. He has not tied me down, he is my refuge. I found my permanent place next to him."

Vegas keeps his smile unmoved, he keeps staring into Porsche's eyes, studying them. "What I am about to say is completely irrelevant now and you don't have to believe me, but I did genuinely like you back then. I wasn't bluffing about wanting to be with you. That day, when I kissed you, it wasn't a part of my plan or scheme, I genuinely wanted to taste you. I was really fucking attracted to you."

Porsche stares at Vegas, stunned at this sudden confession, but he tries to play it cool and nonchalantly reaches for his whiskey glass and takes a sip. Vegas finds him extremely easy to read and smiles at him. "Why are your ears so red?"

"Shut up!" Porsche meekly revolts and looks in another direction before taking another sip of his whiskey.

"There were times when I felt you were genuine, but with you, I can never really tell what's real and what's not. You've always been a great friend to me until one day when you were not." Porsche says, reflecting on their time together.

"I felt a connection with you because we both grew up without our mothers, and both of us want to find out what really happened to them. I often cursed myself for not being able to turn out like you despite being in a similar position to you."

"Well, I didn't have an asshole father like you so I think it was a bit easier for me to turn out this way, not that this is any excuse."

"You and Pete are very alike, he also makes a lot of justifications for the way I turned out. I genuinely do not want anybody to make excuses for what I have done in my past. I own it all."

"Well, fuck me for being polite!" Porsche says feeling exasperated.

"Should I?" Vegas laughs raising his glass at Porsche.

"You know I can knock your teeth out in one punch, right?" Porsche says, his cheeks flushing red with a mixture of self-consciousness and familiar anxiety he felt all those months ago when he used to regularly hang out with Vegas.

"You can but I know you won't, besides I love it when you hit me, makes me imagine all the cruel and brutal things I'll do to you while fucking you, just to get back at you for all those punches."

"You are one crazy bastard aren't you?" Porsche says finishing his drink and then calling the waiter to order another round.

"You should really eat something, you are already getting tipsy," Vegas says with a playful smirk on his face.

"By the way, why the fuck are we meeting here today?" Porsche says, rubbing his eyes as he realizes that he probably drank too fast owing to his nervousness.

"my bodyguard Daeng has been tailing Chan's widow for about two months now. She has met Korn a couple of times at his office. It seemed strange for Korn to keep in contact with his bodyguard's widow as he is not a person who would genuinely care about the family of his employees."