Chapter VIII

Delilah

I open my eyes slowly, the sunlight coming from the window blurs my vision, I close them again and squint my eyelids. I try to organize my thoughts, something is wrong, I'm not in the convent, let alone in the attic where I slept. The feeling that someone was watching me made me shiver. I remembered like an avalanche everything that had happened to me yesterday and I sat up in bed quickly. I looked around and was startled by two small, light brown eyes with thick lashes looking at me curiously. He was on his knees on top of the bed.

"Did my father fuck you?"

His question makes me feel embarrassed, I felt my face burn from the blood rushing through my veins, I was fully aware of what that question meant. It was strange for such a small child to have such a vocabulary, that was absurd, but I understand why is he like this, with the father he has, It's understandable to have this behaviour. I decided to ignore his question and teach him some manners.

"Good morning Enrico, did you sleep well?"

"Very well! I was waiting for you to come to my room and help me brush my teeth, so I went to the servants' room to look for you, but Luna said you were sleeping here."

"Oh! Yes... it's just that I had a little incident at the pool yesterday." I stammered, Enrico is a very smart boy for his age.

"I know that, my father saved you."

"Well! Kind of."

"Enrico, let Miss Delilah take care of her hygiene, then she'll meet you in your room, wait there."

Enrico climbed out of bed and went to one of the sofas, sat down and looked at the maid with defiant eyes.

"I'm not going anywhere, I'll wait for Miss Delilah right here, I have my portable video game with me anyways."

The boy took the object from his pyjama pocket and turned it on, totally ignoring the maid's request. I noticed that Luna ducked her head and went to the bathroom. I found Enrico's attitude completely arrogant and decided to intercede. I got up and walked over to him. I sat on the other couch and watched him closely, he continued playing.

"Enrico, could you stop playing for a second lease?"

He stopped and looked at me. I took a deep breath and told him.

"I think you should listen to what Luna said and obey her, kids of your age don't decide things by themselves if she asked you to wait in your room, that's what you should do."

"She's not my nanny."

"If I ask you will you go?"

"Why do I need to go? My father lets me do what I want, besides, he said you would do what I wanted too."

"But things don't work like that, please wait in your room, I promise I'll come as soon as possible.

"So will you play with me in the yard?"

"Yes, we can do that."

"Cool!"

He got up and ran out of the room, I realized he only did it because he bargained for something. I took a deep breath, I feel sorry to have to leave him, but I can't stay in this house any longer. It is clear that he is a child who needs discipline, but I will not be the one to teach him. At that moment Luna returned from the bathroom and was surprised that Enrico was no longer in the room.

"Were you able to tame the beast?

"He's just a kid."

"Who will follow his father's steps and take over the business, so he's as dangerous as he is."