Chapter XXIV

Mattia

The fragrant smoke of the cigar filled the mansion office room. In front of me were the men's reports; I read the name on the top of the list.

"Conner Kingston, businessman, 52 years old, married with three children."

"Yes, he's likely Delilah's father; the attached photo shows the resemblance. He's blonde with hazel eyes like hers. The other two are brunettes with dark eyes."

"Hmm! What sector of business is he in?"

"Technology; he owns an IT company, and he's the CEO. He has a well-established life in England, considered an example in London society. He's a philanthropist, and surprisingly, his wife runs a center for women victims of violence sponsored by his company."

I smirked, what a real piece of shit. Riccardo continued:

"He's been married for over 20 years, and the oldest child is 4 years older than Delilah, which means he was married when the crime happened. There are also photos of the children and the wife."

I looked at the photo; they all appeared as a happy family. But this happiness would soon come to an end. I smiled sinisterly, now moving on to the other two reports.

"The three are friends; they were together that night to celebrate the opening of the company. They were at the bar until around ten, quite intoxicated when they left."

"So, it must have been then that they came across the nuns and decided to have some fun."

"Likely."

"Well, now I just need to collect a blood sample from Delilah for the DNA test, and we'll be sure if this man is her father to decide his fate."

"How will you do that? Delilah can't know we've found her supposed father."

"I..."

I stopped talking as the office door swung open, Delilah walked in, an expression of shock on her face. She looked at me questioningly.

"Is this true?"

"Delilah, my love, what are you doing here? You know I don't like to be interrupted when I'm dealing with business matters. Besides, it's very rude to eavesdrop on others' conversations."

"I didn't mean to; I was passing by and overheard the conversation. The door wasn't closed."

"What did you hear?"

"Enough."

"It's best to tell her now," Riccardo suggested.

I stood up from my chair and went to her, guiding her to a leather couch and sitting beside her. I looked into her beautiful hazel eyes, so expressive and still holding an air of purity and innocence. I wanted to spare her from this pain, but since she had overheard, it was better to clarify things.

"Yes, what you heard is true. Perhaps this man we've discovered is your father."

She stared at me in disbelief, shock evident in her expression.

"Why did you look for him?"

"To teach him a lesson."

"A lesson? What kind of lesson?"

"Delilah, this is my business."

"You... You're going to... kill him?"

"Isn't that what he deserves?"

"No."

"No? Delilah, he's the man who violently raped your mother."

"I know, but I believe in God's forgiveness. Please, Mattia, I want to see him."