Chapter XV

Delilah

The relentless rain still fell without stopping. I moved slowly putting my hand on my forehead. I press on the sore spot and screw up my face in pain. Not much time had passed since the fall until now, maybe a few minutes. I didn't even lose consciousness, I just kept my eyes closed trying to reason what had happened. I needed to get out of this place to get help. I have no idea of the damage caused by the fall, but my whole body is in pain.

I spread my hands on the rock that had held my body and use it as a support to try to sit down. As soon as I could, I leaned my back against the stone and began to assess my body. I looked at the arms and realized that the fabric of the coat had torn in some regions, the legs that were exposed, suffered some abrasions. Apparently I didn't have any broken bones. At that moment, the rain began to lessen in intensity.

The gusts of wind hit me making me feel cold, I cringed trying to find a way out. It was still very dark and I could hardly see anything, but I needed to look around to assess where I was. So I leaned on the rock to hold on and lift myself up. I felt a little dizzy and closed my eyes. I stayed still until that feeling dissipated and I opened my eyelids again. I saw beyond the lighting stone, it looked like a road. I looked down and realized that I was already at the end of the descent. Then, holding on to some branches of vegetation, I walked down the rest of the bluff.

The rain wasn't so intense anymore, now it was just a drizzle, however, the wind and my wet body made me feel very cold. I walked a few meters and arrived at the paved road. I checked this back and forth before heading down and heading left. I observed the lighting of the houses in that direction, that's where I'll ask for help. I started the walk shivering from the cold, in a lot of pain and my body covered in mud, but I couldn't regret it now, my only thought was to try to find shelter before succumbing for good.

After walking approximately ten minutes, exhausted, cold and bruised, the tears of anguish began to flow. At that point the rain had completely stopped. I felt very weak and stopped to rest. I couldn't keep up, I sat on the side of the road. After some time, I saw the light of a headlight, it was a vehicle. With difficulty, I got up and waved, praying to God it seems. To my relief, the truck pulled to the side of the road. Without thinking too much, I went to the car, the window opened revealing a gray haired gentleman at the wheel.

"Please help me."

The man said something in Italian before opening the truck door. I also noticed that there was a lady in the passenger sit. She quickly got out of the vehicle already with a blanket and charged my body. They spoke in Italian, I couldn't understand, but I was grateful for the help.

"I'm English."

"We will take you to the hospital" The main said in English.

"No, no, take me to a convent, I want to go to the convent."

"Convent?"

"Yes, please, I want to go back to the convent."

The two looked at each other for a moment, but soon began to act. The woman grabbed me by the shoulders helping me into the truck in the backseat. Then both got into the car and drove quickly. They spoke in Italian to each other. I only understood a single word. They said hospital, I didn't want to go to the hospital, so I insisted:

"I don't want to go to the hospital, but the convent, I'm a novice, just take me there."

"Which convent?"

"Anyone, please."

The two pondered my request and began to discuss something I didn't understand. I just closed my eyes and let myself be carried away by exhaustion.