Chapter XVII

Delilah

With my heart pounding, I noticed Mattia nod and the Mother Superior rose from her chair and walked to the door. I looked at her in alarm, she too had a worried expression. My mouth moved in a silent request for her not to leave me alone with him, my hands wanted to hold her, however, I couldn't do anything. I saw her leaving silently and the door closed with a soft noise.

The silence that followed was only interrupted by the pounding of my heart that felt like drums inside my chest. I couldn't look at him, I wrung my hands together for the courage to tell him I was a nun now and there was nothing he could do about it.

"Don't you have anything to say, Delilah?"

The sound of his voice hit me like a whip hitting my skin. I jumped in fright and looked towards him. He was still in the same place, with all his haughty, superior bearing. His hands were in his pants pockets, no sign of his emotional state, just coldness as if he were a dark being. My soul and body reacted

In different ways, as I denied and tried to despise him, my body lit up in recognition. Sensations that I don't want to feel, but that insisted on manifesting themselves. My God! I need to clamp down, he's a monster and that's what I have to hold on to. There was a darkness about him and a dark abyss between us.

And his look... That strange, intense twinkle in his pupils scared me. He didn't believe in lost souls, nor in loneliness or suffering that couldn't be removed with love and care. Night darkness always turned to light when dawn broke. That was my great faith. Therefore, gathering all the courage and faith I spoke, trying my best to appear firm and decided.

"There's nothing to say or explain, you've seen it with your own eyes, I'm a nun now, Mr Russo and we have nothing to talk about."

In a fraction of a second, the man moved towards me like a jet, grabbed me in his arms and shook me furiously. His mouth was an inch from mine.

"Do you think dressing like that will stop me from doing anything?"

"It's not just a about the clothes, I really became a nun, I took my vows and I have no intention of breaking them, Mr Russo" I emphasized the words.

The sound of the slap across my face was loud, the force of the blow making me turn away and stagger. Tears came down like a waterfall, I couldn't believe this was happening. I brought a hand to my face where he hit me, but I felt him pull me hard. I was terrified not knowing what he will do next. As if I were a pity he lifted me with one of his arms, with the other hand, he grabbed my jaw and squeezed as he spoke with hate.

"Mister Russo is the Fuck, don't give me that polite treatment as if nothing had happened between us. If I hear you being polite again, you'll get another slap, understood?"

I couldn't say anything I was so scared, but he wanted an answer and he shook me violently.

"Do you understand?"

"Y-y-yes," I stammered sounding like a scared little mouse.

"Do you know what this ridiculous escape caused? Do you have any idea of how you left Enrico?"

My heart went out, I can imagine that the boy suffered, I also suffered with his absence, not a day went by that I didn't think of him and I felt pain, I felt his suffering. Guilt ate at me, so even with all the fear and hurt for what he just did, I decided to apologize.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt Enrico."

"You've done a lot more than hurt him, you've made him sick."

He pushed me hard and I hit the wall, his hatred thick. I was terrified, but also worried about Enrico, however I didn't have the courage to ask him about his health, as the man was possessed with rage and a question about that could provoke an even more violent response.