Chapter XIV

Delilah

My body was paralyzed with fear, my breath held by what was happening in front of me. I cringed, my heart pounding against my ribcage, my mouth was dry. I saw the huge silhouette of Mattia over Sergio, his big body, covered by a black overcoat, rose quickly, to my eyes, he looked like a demon and indeed he was. I realized with shock that Mr Sergio was writhing, he had been hit by the shot. Terror filled me as Mattia aimed the gun at the other's head and mercilessly fired a barrage of shots. With each bang, I cringed against the wall and closed my eyes. There were so many shots that it seemed to have no end. Until I hear Riccardo's voice screaming.

"It's over Mattia, he's dead."

Mattia stopped shooting, I couldn't open my eyes or get out of my crouched position. The silence that followed gave me the courage to open them slowly. Through the mist of tears that formed in my eyes, I saw the tall figure of Mattia and beside him Mr Riccardo. On the ground was Mr Sergio's body, lifeless, unrecognizable, his face completely disfigured. I let out a scream of terror. Mattia turned to me and looked directly at me. I felt the impact of his withering gaze on me. My lower lip trembled with fear, the heartbeat was so fast that I thought each beat joined the other and surely my heart would stop.

Mattia moved and handed the gun to Riccardo, practically throwing it at him.

"Get that maledetto off my property."

So, he turned to me, walked with firm steps, I was paralyzed, my breath accelerated, I thought of running, but I couldn't react, his face was a transfiguration of the demon and all his wrath fell on me. I moved my head from side to side in the negative and tried to pull away, but he grabbed me by the wrist and pulled me, saying absolutely nothing, just listening to his strong breathing, his nostrils flaring, it looked like he was breathing fire through his nostrils.

I tripped over my own legs as I was dragged by Mattia, my wrist where at his hand clenched like claws, throbbing with pain. He pulled me in like I was a rag doll. Fresh tears flooded my face, I couldn't make a sound, my throat felt closed, only sobs of anguish and dread escaped.

Mattia went up the stairs and when we reached the hallway, we headed in the opposite direction from mine. When I realized he was leading me to his own bedroom, I panicked and tried to wriggle out of the grip. However, all my effort only served to cause me more physical pain. He opened the door and threw me inside, I almost fell, but I managed to keep my balance. The slam of the door being closed made me let go. Mattia locked it. He had his back to me for a few seconds, he seemed to be trying to control himself, I could see his hands opening and closing and his breathing accelerated. I looked around quickly, the room was huge, with sombre colors between dark gray and black, there was a well-made huge bed. The room was divided into several luxurious rooms and even had a bar with different types of drinks. I was in the lion's den, or rather, in the devil's chambers.

My blood ran cold when he turned to me. His eyes looked like two incandescent flames, he didn't blink, his wide pupils looked glazed. With a brusque gesture he took off his overcoat, threw it away, the next piece was his suit and then his tie, which was violently ripped off and thrown to the floor. As he undressed, he didn't take his eyes off my face. I was also looking at him terrified, I needed to have the courage to ask him to let me go to my room, but the voice did not come out the size of my fear. When he started to unbuckle his belt, his intention was clear to me, so I whispered.

"No!"

"Take off the clothes!" he ordered dryly.

"No, please, Mr Russo," I sobbed as I spoke.

The anger he was trying to hold back exploded. With a brusque gesture, he pulled the belt and threw it away. He advanced on me like a hurricane, grabbed me by both arms pulling me close to his body. His mouth brushed mine and he asked through gritted teeth, his voice an undercurrent of hate.