Chapter IX

Delilah

I couldn't believe I would have to spend the next three months at the mercy of a mobster. My situation got worse every day, I never imagined that I was in the house of a criminal. I put my hand to my stomach and staggered, not feeling well.

"Miss Delilah, are you all right?"

Mr Riccardo came over and helped me into one of the chairs. I was shaking and seeing everything blurred because of the tears that formed in my eyes. I tried to hold them, I learned at Saint Elizabeth not to let them fall from a very young age, weakness and fear are not seen with good eyes in the convent, you have to face all difficulties with courage, beginners or orphans who don't have time to regret their luck. However, how do I avoid this feeling if I am under the roof of a dangerous man and from what I understood powerful? No one will help me here, surely everyone just obeys his orders.

However, I must try once more, beg if needed for Mr Riccardo to send me back, he's my last hope. Lifting my head and looking at him with teary eyes, I joined both hands and asked, showing all my desperation.

"Miss Delilah, it's only three months, you'll do well."

"No... Mr you don't understand, I... I'll take the vows ..."

I stopped talking when now I saw mockery in his eyes, he was making fun of my despair.

"You will take care of Enrico, Miss, there is nothing you can do to change this situation, just accept it. Mattia is always very generous with his mistresses if you know what I mean." He winked at me and grinned.

A scared sigh left my lips, my stomach knotted, besides him knowing what his boss's intentions are, he doesn't give a damn about it. Without further ado, I got up and ran to the door, I didn't even look back, I went out and walked down the hall, I reached the entrance hall and looked at the exit. Without much thought, I opened the big heavy oak door and stepped out. Outside, the cold afternoon wind hit my face, I didn't care, I walked aimlessly with tears wetting my cheeks. I just wanted to leave, to escape the clutches of this mobster.

I studied around with tormented eyes, needing to find the iron gates. I noticed that there was a road flanked by gardens and I hurried on ahead. Finally, I saw the gate from afar. I peeked over my shoulder and noticed that there were some men in black suits following me. I started to run. Upon arriving at the gate, another man appeared and I stopped, frightened.

"Where are you going, miss?" He asked.

"Open the gate, please, I want to go."

"I have not received any authorization to let you out, miss."

"No... No authorization is needed, I want to leave."

At that moment the iron gates started to open automatically, my heart was pounding, a black car with tinted windows entered and stopped. The windows rolled down and he appeared, his eyes covered by his sunglasses and a sarcastic smile on his lips.

"I hope you're just exploring the gardens, Miss Deliah."

"I'm going back to the convent," I announced as firmly as I could.

"Really? And how do you plan to get there? By foot?"

"If necessary, yes."

He watched me for a few seconds, I didn't know what his eyes were expressing, as he was wearing sunglasses, but I noticed that there was no longer a hint of sarcasm. I saw that he made an almost imperceptible gesture with his head and the man who had stopped me earlier approached the car and opened the door.

"Get in!" he ordered.

I hesitated, I didn't want to get in the car, but I have no way out, there are security guards or henchmen everywhere, I don't know, they'll definitely hold me if I run. The gate at that moment began to close. At my hesitation, he took off his sunglasses and glared at me, making it clear that if I run or do anything other than get in the car, the consequences will be disastrous. With no way out, I obeyed his order, sat beside him, static, looking straight ahead. The man closed the door and the window glass slowly rose. The car started to move.