Chapter XIII

Delilah

The morning was fresh and beautiful, I watched the day break through the bedroom window. It was still very early around six o'clock, I decided to keep my morning routine like it was in the convent, I woke up around five, did the hygiene, then the prayers and waited for Enrico to wake up to help him with his routine, soon after we go for breakfast. This meal was served late, at approximately ten o'clock, so I took advantage of this time to fast in prayer with the intention of getting rid of this marriage, which was being planned at full speed.

A week had already passed since the episode with Mr. Sergio and the announcement of the wedding, since then, many things have changed, my position in the house changed from nanny to owner, the employees already treated me as his wife, consulted me for everything. He in turn treated me like the bride, kissing and hugging me in front of people. I couldn't protest, if I did he used his threats. He just took over my life and made it very clear to everyone who I belonged to.

I also noticed a distance from Mr. Sergio, he used to have free access to the house, but since everything happened he didn't go in anymore and he didn't even have meals with us. I would sometimes see him instructing the soldiers, but if he noticed me quickly he would move away.

I took a deep breath and turned away from the window. I go to the bed, sit on the edge, take a small box from the top drawer of the bedside table and open it. Inside was my engagement ring, he gave it to me the day after he announced that he was going to marry me. I remember that day.

Enrico and I were on the deck sitting at one of the tables having a snack, we had played a lot in the backyard and now we were resting while we ate. His father arrived and I quickly assumed my rigid posture. I haven't had contact with him since the night before at dinner and his presence always intimidated me. I had already planned it in my head, telling him that I wouldn't marry him and insisting that he let me go back to the convent, but I didn't count on him making the engagement official by presenting me with a beautiful diamond and Sapphire ring.

Enrico, as always, was very happy with his father's presence and started chatting about the things we did. The father sat next to me and to my amazement he kissed me on the mouth in front of the boy. It wasn't a deep kiss, just pressing his lips against mine, but it was enough to make me self-conscious. I was so shocked that I had no reaction, my face caught fire with embarrassment. Enrico, on the other hand, was vibrating with joy.

"Papa is going to marry Delilah" Enrico hummed.

"That's right son and to make it official, look what I brought her.

He took the box with the ring out of his jacket pocket and opened it in front of me, the glitter of the jewel overshadowed my vision and thoughts, I've never seen anything so beautiful. I shifted my eyes to his face and my lashes fluttered as I held his gaze full of lust and warning, clearly warning me not to even consider turning down the ring.

"Isn't Delilah's ring beautiful, Enrico?"

"It's very beautiful. Put it on your finger, Delilah."

I felt tormented, it was cruel of him to make me go through this, every minute he involves me in his life, presenting me with clothes and accessories that I would never have in my life, now this jewel that must certainly be worth a fortune. That's not right, I'm an orphan, I don't have anyone in this world, but that doesn't mean I should be treated like an object, a figurine to be manipulated at free will. It was a game for him, one where he subtly played with my inexperience and innocence.

"Come on Delilah, put out your right hand and stop making that silly face."

With trembling hands, I extended it so that he could put on the ring that was perfect, however, the ring in contact with my skin seemed to burn me, it was absurd to think that I was being forced to accept this marriage. To my surprise, he grabbed me by the waist and pulled me close to his body, my eyes focused on him in terror, not only because he held me like that, but because of my body's immediate reaction to his touch. To make matters worse, I felt embarrassed that Enrico was witnessing all of this, and for that reason, I felt my face burn with embarrassment, I'm probably red as a red pepper.