19 : Under the Influence

It is the last two minutes of the soccer game.

Everyone in the bleachers are up on their feet as Hirai Momo hastily dribbles on the field. Her team is down by one goal and is on the verge of losing the first game of the Collegiate Soccer League.

Last one minute.

Momo reaches the opposing team's last line of defense. She quickly scans the field while doing her best to keep the call in possession. Their opponent's Midfielders are closing in on her.

Chaeyoung, their ace, is heavily guarded with two Forwards trapping her on the far side of the field. Their opponent obviously did not take them lightly and prepared so much that their key players were properly scouted.

Clock is ticking. Things are looking bad on Momo's end now. There is no way they could execute their planned strategy at the current situation.

Last thirty seconds.

Suddenly, one Defender approaches Momo and tackles the ball. Thankfully, the team captain was agile enough in comeback to trap the soccer ball to her side and keep it for their team.

But time is not on their side now.

Either someone takes the shot or they inevitably lose the game.

So, Momo looked to the end of the field and started to dribble towards the goal.

Last ten seconds.

The Goalkeeper was right in front of the team captain but she had no choice but to take the shot. She heaved in a deep breath as she stopped the ball. In the same split second, she kicked with all her might, applying the best technique she could bid at the moment.

And then the buzzer goes off, signaling that the game is over.

"This is so frustrating!" Momo furiously shouts.

Hirai Momo's team lost the game. The last shot she took didn't even reach the goal area. A Sweeper was able to block the shot even before it could travel to the Goalkeeper's area jurisdiction.

"Hey. We're not out of the league yet." Chaeyoung tries to calm their captain as they huddle in their designated bleacher beside the field. "This is just our first game. We still did our best."

One of the members comments. "Their formation was impeccable! How in the world could we have bested that?!"

Another player states. "Ugh. If only the coach was here, he surely would've been able to give us something to counter their tactics! If you think about it, we were already at a disadvantage from the start!"

The team captain scoffs and briskly picks up her things from their bench. "Vice captain!" She then calls out in annoyance. "Where are you? I'm out of here. You're in charge."

"Huh? Wait!" Chaeyoung immediately shouts as Momo walks away from the huddled team, not even waiting for her reply. "Momo! I'm absolutely sure that they will be needing the captain for—"

"Hey." A soft voice speaks beside the soccer team's vice captain.

Chaeyoung, recognizing the voice, immediately turns to the direction of the sound. From the earlier frustrated look, she is now a smiling mess. "Hey, Minari! What's up? Did you watch how I played—"

"Where's Momo?"

"Aww." Chaeyoung dramatically holds her chest, trying to act hurt. "You're not here for me?"

Mina simply rolls her eyes in response.

The soccer player chuckles and continues. "The most responsible captain just walked away right about the minute you came here. Why are you looking for her?"