34 : The New Year's Party

It is late in the afternoon on the last day of the Christmas vacation, a day right after New Year's.

Nayeon is currently sitting on the pool side located at the secluded side of the Chou mansion, sipping some diet soda.

"So you think Mina's suspicious about our relationship?" She yells to the girls who are sitting at the lounge chair behind her.

There is an ongoing New Year's party at the front yard of the Chou mansion. It is an annual event organized by Tzuyu and Nayeon's father for all the families of their notable business partners.

Chaeyoung annoyingly answers, "Well, I will not wonder about that after Tzuyu blurted out some information about the year I stopped when I was in high school!"

"Hey! Don't blame me! You were the first one to explain to your girlfriend about why I only call Nayeon and Jeong my Unnies!"

The soccer ace mumbles, "How many times do I have to tell you that Mina is not yet my girlfriend."

Nayeon scoffs. "Talk about slow moves."

"Hey! Don't act so smug! Don't you know that Jeongyeon also almost caught me last time."

"AND WHAT IN THE WORLD DID YOU TELL MY GIRLFRIEND?"

"I—" Chaeyoung instantly looked guilty. " I think... I somehow slipped Tzuyu's name in one of my statements when we were talking back at the cabin."

"WHAT? Wait, did she ever mention Tzuyu to you?"

"I don't know! I can't remember if she ever talked about Tzuyu when we're together! If she asks you, just tell her you told me stories about your sister during random chit chats on soccer practices."

Nayeon stands up from the side of the pool and points to the two other girls. "If my relationship gets dragged into the horrible situation of the love life you two have, I swear I'm going to hate you both for the rest of my life!"

Chaeyoung simply chuckles while Tzuyu apologetically bows her head.

"And what is this commotion about?"

"JIHYO!" The three girls yell in unison as they immediately move from their places to hug the new girl that has just arrived.

"Gosh. I can hear you girls even from the gates of this house."

"What took you so long?" Nayeon asks as they break the group hug.

They all went and sat around the poolside table.

"I dropped my things first at the university dorms. I also want to start my day early at school tomorrow since there are some council things I want to jumpstart."

Park Jihyo is the council president of the university that Tzuyu attends, making them schoolmates. She is already in her senior collegiate year and is a year older than Chaeyoung and Nayeon.

"Chaeyoung." Jihyo calls out.

"Hmm?"

"On my way here, I think I saw your dad at the garden's patio with some other business associates."

"SO?" Chaeyoung sarcastically asks.

"And... that's it!" Jihyo concludes with a forced smile. "I will never speak again about it."

Tzuyu nudges the soccer ace. "It's the last day of the vacation. You're really not planning on going home?"

"For the hundredth time now, Chou Tzuyu, I already told you that I had no plans on doing so, right?" Chaeyoung is now visibly annoyed.

Nayeon looked at her younger sister and shook her head a bit, signaling to drop the topic.

The atmosphere fell into an awkward silence after that.

The soccer ace lets out a deep sigh. "I'm sorry. I know you are just all concerned about me. It's just— I really just have a lot of things in my mind right now."

"It's all right, Chaeyoung." Jihyo reaches out and squeezes Chaeyoung's hand softly. "We understand. We've been friends way too long to not know each other that well."

"Thanks."

"Tzuyu, Nayeon." A man in full suit calls out from the patio connecting the mansion and the pool area.

"Yes, Dad?" Nayeon promptly stands up and answers while her younger sister is in attention.

"I want you to meet some of the other families that have just arrived."

"Okay!" Tzuyu then stands up and walks with Nayeon to their father.

"Oh, Jihyo! Looks like you found them." He smiles at both the girls left on the side of the pool. "I'm gonna borrow my girls for a while, okay? And Jihyo, you can stay the night if you want to catch up with them. Although, Chaeyoung has been practically living in our guest room during the vacation so you will be sharing it with her."

Chaeyoung and Jihyo just chuckle and nod politely.

"It's such a shame that Nayeon's girlfriend doesn't attend these events. You would love meeting her. Especially you Chaeyoung, with your personality I think you'll be like... bros?" Tzuyu's father laughs as he finally waves his arms at the two girls on the poolside and walks back to the direction of the party with his daughters.

Jihyo asks as soon as the Chous were out of sight. "Uncle doesn't know that you and Jeongyeon already met?"

"Of course, he doesn't! We want to limit the complications of how we're keeping everything a secret to other people. Only the four of us know about the whole story."

"Four of us? You, me, those two..." Jihyo counts in her hand. "WAIT... so Nayeon's girlfriend also doesn't know?"

Chaeyoung flashes an awkward smile while nodding.

"Wha— Son Chaeyoung! This is going to be some serious trouble if it gets out!"

"Hey. That is why we have to fix it before it gets out."

"You and Tzuyu have been trying to fix it for years now! Tell me, what did you accomplish?"

"I— " Chaeyoung lets out a sigh. "I honestly don't know if we're making progress."

"Exactly. See? And why in the world are you hiding this from Nayeon's girlfriend?"

"We thought about it and we decided that it would be best if Jeong also didn't know."

"I don't think that's a good idea. Her girlfriend is close to the Chous, especially to their father. What if uncle nonchalantly blurts something out to connect you three?" Jihyo explains in an evidently worried tone.

"We can't help it. We already started it like this."

"If I am Nayeon's girlfriend, I will definitely feel betrayed. I mean— Judging from your stories, she treats Tzuyu like her own sister. We all know how much she loves and trusts Nayeon. And you..." She looks at Chaeyoung, "you're her close friend now, right?"

The soccer player simply nods.

"I never met your girlfriends personally yet—"

"Sana and Mina aren't anyone's girlfriend yet." Chaeyoung cuts in correction.

Jihyo dramatically rolls her eyes and continues, "Anyway, I know that the impending trouble with this Mina and this Sana are a given—"

"Hey. Don't say it like that!" Chaeyoung yells to butt in again.

"Hey to you too, Son Chaeyoung! You know those two girls getting crazy over this will be inevitable! But for Jeongyeon—" She heaves in a deep breath. "Seriously, what are you three girls thinking hiding this to her? If this ruins Nayeon's long, stable relationship, I swear you and Tzuyu are going to carry the consequences."

Chaeyoung was just staying silent, looking guilty with all the statements that Jihyo is throwing at her.

"Chaeyoung."

"Yes?"

"I'm also staying the night."

"I thought you have to be early—"

"You three are definitely going to hear an earful from me."

Chaeyoung faintly answers, "O— Okay."