43 : Wins and Loses (3)

Chaeyoung glances at the council president. "Thi— this is the first time I'm hearing this."

The council president mutters under her breath for only the soccer ace to hear. "That is because you never cared to ask about it."

"Huh? What did she say?" The cheer girl asks Chaeyoung.

"Umm... Nothing!" Chaeyoung clears her throat. "Anyway, as I have said... we're kind of in the middle of something right now, so—"

"Then, just give me your phone." The cheer girl demands while putting her hand in front of the soccer player. "I'll just type in my cell number."

Chaeyoung glances at Mina who is still looking at the ground again. She contemplates for a moment before letting a huge sigh and fishing out for her phone. She hesitatingly gives it out to the cheer girl.

The girl quickly reached out for it and tapped on the screen consecutively. She dials a number and calls it. Then, she takes out her own phone to reject the call.

"Okay. I now have yours and you now have mine." The girl cheerfully gives back the phone. "I'll contact you later, okay? Bye, bye!"

After the girl finally left, Mina once again tried to free her arm. This time, Chaeyoung let her.

Both of them stood silently for a moment. The soccer player's eyes are locked on to the council president while the latter is just blankly staring at the far side of the open field.

"Minari."

Mina is still choosing to not utter a word.

Chaeyong softly grabs again the council president's arm. She carefully pulls her towards one of the benches near the area, alongside the track.

They sat there in silence for a while. The sun is starting to set. The air is a bit cold. Almost all the students are currently in the open field so no one passes their location right now. There is just a faint sound of the crowd heard from afar.

"Minari, what you saw—"

"Chaeng." The council president starts in a soft tone.

"Hmm? What is it?"

"I don't need your explanation about what happened earlier."

"Wha— Minari. I—"

Mina gazes deeply into Chaeyoung's eyes with an obvious level of sadness.

"What happened to us?" The council president faintly mumbles. "Four years ago... What happened to you? Why did you do that to me? That's the explanation I now want to hear. Don't you think we're holding that topic off way too long?"

The soccer ace was frozen for a moment. She looks down and sincerely begins, "I— I'm sorry. I am so sorry Minari for— for—" She heaves in a deep breath. "I'm so sorry for disappearing like that four years ago. You didn't deserve what I did to you."

Mina is staying silent and stiff on the bench.

Chaeyoung then continues, "I know I should've called. I should've contacted you. I should have reached out to you. I should have—"

"But you didn't, Chaeng." Mina interrupted. Her voice cracked as tears started welling up in her eyes. "You didn't do any of that."

"Minari, I— I—"

"Tell me the truth, Chaeng." Mina stares at Chaeyoung while tears fall from her eyes. "I was simply just one of those girls that the soccer team's ace suddenly abandoned back then, wasn't I?"

"No! Mina, please don't say that! You're not—"

"Like those girls in the field earlier who you let you go near you and kiss you—"

"No! You're nothing like them! You're different from everyone else. Please—"

"Like that cheer girl who got your number earlier who also didn't have a single clue why—"

"Minari! Please listen to me first!"

"NO, CHAENG. YOU LISTEN TO ME!"

Chaeyoung flinches at the sudden raise in the council president's voice.

There was a moment of silence as they stared at each other's eyes, now freely flowing with tears for the both of them.

Mina continues to speak, "If what you're trying to say is true. Then— Then, why did you suddenly cut me out of your life? Why didn't you tell me anything, even the slightest detail? Because as far as I know, that is what you exactly did with all the other students at our school back then. Tell me, Chaeng. Why the hell did your actions in the past oppose everything that you're trying to say and do right now?"

Chaeyoung pursed her lips and remained silent.

The quietness between the two girls prevailed again for a couple of minutes. The lights from the lamps in the area started flickering as it lit up.

Mina wipes her tears as she starts again, "Aren't you amazed that the former nobody in high school is now someone who can be in front of people, gets good grades in class—"

"Mina—"

"I was just a nobody when you left me. I depended on you so much that I thought it was fine to just be myself because you still cared for me... even though I was just the Myoi Mina I was back then."

"I already told you're not just a nobody—"

Mina is now throwing her sentences one after the other, not giving Chaeyoung a chance to properly answer. "I am like this right now because when you left me, I was suddenly all on my own. I had to get through the rest of High School without the only person who I sincerely believed— who I believed would always be there for me."

Then, Mina abruptly stands up and begins to hastily walk away.

"Minari, wait!" Chaeyoung quickly chases after her and gets a hold of her arm. The council president immediately glares at her in return.

Chaeyoung firmly looks at her, heaves a deep breath, and tries to compose herself. "I know my words are not making any sense right now but I'm still sorting some things in my past. Believe me, I want to explain everything to you. I want to tell everything to you but for now— For now... I want you to know that I—"

"So you really won't tell me anything, will you? Chaeng, I'm tired of whatever this is that we have. You can't just show up in my life again and pretend like everything's fine and nothing has ever happened! I waited long enough for the explanation I deserve."

"Please, Minari. I will explain everything to you in the future, I promise."

The council president just scoffs. In a shaky voice she states, "You know what? Thank you, Chaeng. I learned to be strong and independent because of you. And now? It is clear as day that I don't need you anymore."

"Minari, you know you don't mean that!"

"And for the record, Son Chaeyoung." Mina briskly frees her arm from the soccer ace's grip. "Please don't make me fall for you so hard if you will just leave me alone and let me break into pieces."

Mina then continued to walk away.

Chaeyoung is now out of words after hearing everything that the council president said. She didn't have the strength to chase Mina anymore as tears instinctively welled down from her eyes.