24 : Sure Seems Close

"So what's the real score between you and Chaeyoung?"

"Wha— Sana!"

The two council girls are currently walking towards the entrance of a supermarket. It is the last school day of the year for their university. About less than two weeks before New Year's, tomorrow is the start of a most awaited Christmas vacation.

"What?" Sana giggles friskily.

"We're— We're friends." Mina answers in almost a mumble.

"Oh. I see, I see." The cheer captain answers in a sarcastic tone.

Prior to going home to their families for the Holidays, the student council decided to have a party of their own on the second day of the said school break.

The council members divided the tasks for their event. Mina and Sana are in charge of buying all the supplies, may it be food or party needs. Jeongyeon will be the one arranging the venue and their itinerary while Dahyun will be the designated driver during the whole trip.

"Why did you even bother to ask if you won't even believe in the first place?"

"I said I see. Did I say I did not believe you?

Mina dramatically rolls her eyes at her roommate's teasing.

They have now walked inside the supermarket.

"But did you tell her already? Does Chaeyoung now know that she's the one you like all these years?"

"I— I think I somehow... made her know."

"Somehow? Why do you sound unsure?"

Sana is just patiently looking at the council president with full attention, not seeming to care if something could trip her along the way.

"Sana, the thing is..."

"Hmm?"

They continued to walk towards where the pile of shopping carts were situated.

"Remember when you told me that Chaeng and Momo had a fight in the soccer lockers?"

"Yeah. What about it?"

Mina heaves in a deep breath. "I went to the sophomore dorms to check on Chaeng the next night and... I— We— I let her kis—"

Then, Mina abruptly stopped and stood in front of the shopping carts and baskets. Sana noticed her movements.

"Why, Mina?" The cheer captain followed her best friend's gaze. "Oh! Aren't those..."

In the cashier, having their grocery items totaled are Chaeyoung and Nayeon. The soccer manager is standing in between the lanes, double checking the item's prices that appear on the screen while Chaeyoung is putting the groceries one by one on the cashier's stall.

"Buying supplies together? I didn't know they were that close." Sana nonchalantly comments. "Did they really just meet this year in the soccer team?"

"Makes you wonder and ask, right?" Mina answers in a mutter.

Sana raises one of her brows and smirks. She nudges the council president. "Ah, ah, ah. Look who's jealous?"

"Wha— No! I— I'm not jealous!"

The cheer captain puts her arm around her best friend's torso as the two of them continue to watch the soccer girls. "Don't put so much thought in it, babe. Nayeon is surely loyal to that ostrich. Plus, you can't eliminate the possibility that maybe Chayeoung and her just clicked and became really close in the soccer team."

Mina heaves in a deep breath. They are both still oddly just standing in the middle of the facility and watching the soccer girls on the cashier stall.

Sana suddenly chuckles, "And as I've been telling you, my dear best friend, for a million times now... why don't you just go out with her?"

Mina promptly rolls her eyes.

"Imagine. If you are Chaeyoung's girlfriend, you won't be sulking here like this simply because you don't have the right to question whoever she gets chummy with."

The student president removes Sana's arm on her waist. "And as I've also been telling you—"

"Right, right. No need to lecture me again about your complicated story." Sana immediately answered with both her hands raised up in the air in surrender.

Mina shrugs the topic and lazily treads towards the shopping carts. She pulls one and hands it over to Sana. Then, she brings out her phone to check the shopping list she prepared.

"So... What were you trying to say before we saw Chaeyoung and Nayeon earlier?"

"What?"

"What happened when you went to the sophomore dorms?"

Mina suddenly began to blush as memories from that night started to come in. "Sa— Hey. Drop the topic for now. Focus on the task at hand."

"Ugh." Sana dramatically rolls her eyes but nonetheless obediently trails her best friend.

They started to traverse in between the aisles. Mina stopped shortly to check on the nutrition facts of some cereals. She glances at Sana before calling out, "Minatozaki."

"Hmm?"

"Any updates on your 'princess charming'?"

Sana scoffs, "Now you wanna know about mine when you don't want to share about yours?"

Mina bursts into chuckles. "Okay, okay. I'll tell you. But not here. It's— It's... a little embarrassing to tell you the story here. Knowing you, I know you won't be satisfied until I tell you specific details."

The cheer just rolls her eyes again.

"I promise to tell you when we get back in the dorms."

"Really?"

Mina nods a couple of times while showing her gummy smile.

Sana heaves in a deep breath as they navigate their carts to the next grocery aisle. "So... I think..." She glances at Mina who is eagerly waiting for her statement. "I think I found her."

"You did? Really?"

Sana nods while softly smiling. "But nothing's sure right now! The possibility is still low. I have to gather more information."

"How did you find her?" Mina gasps, "Don't tell me that your lame plan about that Star Wars keychain worked?"

"Hey! When are you gonna stop calling that plan lame?"

The council president just chuckles. "I really can't believe you've been trying to hold on to that plan to work for years now. I mean, how would something like—"

"Okay. You're not interested in hearing it. Then, I don't have anything to say." Sana pouts and pushes her cart roughly towards the next aisle, away from Mina.

"Sana, wait!" The council president promptly convoys her.

"Talk to yourself, Myoi!"

"Oh, come on!" Mina continues to tail her roomie while laughing, obviously in teasing. "I was just joking!"

"I'm never gonna tell you about it!"