Chapter 20

Natalia's POV

I quickly help Phoenix into the house and lay him down on the couch. I notice his eyes fluttering close but then open. 

I walk over to the medicine cabinet to grab some painkillers and ice. Right as I'm about to grab the bottle I freeze.

What the fuck are you doing, Natalia? This man dragged your love through the dirt and threw it off a cliff and you're going to save him? 

My head turns around when I hear a loud groan from Phoenix, I ignore all my thoughts and rush over to grab ice. 

"Fuck, my ribs are bruised" He complains. 

"Lift yourself up." Phoenix looks at me like I didn't hear his comment. I ignore his stare and push his back up and slide a pillow underneath him. 

He lets out a string of curses until I let his body fall back onto the cushions. "Take off your shirt," I tell him, I don't want to talk to him more than I already am. 

Even though he is in pain, he gives me that playful smirk of his "I just ran into you again and you already want to have sex?" He really has some nerve. My face stays serious as I twist open the bottle of painkillers. 

"Alright, I got it. He brings his fingers to the ends of his shirt and I already see that he is struggling to pull the fabric above his belly button. 

"Here" He places his hands back at his sides. I pull my knife out of my boot and bring the sharp end toward the bottom of the fabric. 

The knife drags its way up as the shirt is now being cut in half. I grimace when I notice the large bruises turning into a yellow and purplish color. 

Phoenix knows I could kill him right now, but he as much as I know couldn't have the guts to do that. He stays still and doesn't even flinch when the metal slide along his chest. 

Everything begins to feel intense as I continue to stay close to him. 

As I'm about to reach the top of his shirt, I can hear both of our heavy breathing. My upper body basically hovers above his own. The knife slides closer to his neck but the shirt is already cut in half before it can get any closer.

My eyes naturally glance up and I'm locked with those ice-blue eyes. The knife is between both of us stopping us from getting any closer to one another. My grip on the sharp object tightens, bringing me back into reality. 

Phoenix's eyes pull away from my own and his eyes roam around my face. He stops at my lips and I know exactly what would happen next if I didn't pull away from him. 

I turn around and slide my knife back into my shoe and grab the ice pack "Natalia... Please, my love. I can never tell you enough how sorr-" Before he can finish his sentence I place the ice on his stomach causing him to let out a hiss at either the coldness or the pain. I don't know, I did anything to stop him from talking. 

"Here, you need to take two of these" I show him the pills and he takes both, swallowing them with ease. 

I'm about to move away from the couch, but Phoenix's hands slide over mine, silently telling me to listen to him. 

I don't want to, he didn't bother to listen to me. It could all be resolved if I just sat down for a moment, but it wouldn't change anything. Cause in the end he still thought my love for him was fake. 

I walk away and head over to the kitchen, just to avoid him. 

What am I going to do with him in the house now? 

Just kick him out, even though he is in pain.

As cliche as is sounds my heart tells me something completely different and even though he has brought so much pain to me, I don't want him to die. 

I already made up my mind, I don't know why I bother fighting with myself. "One night, Pheonix and then your leaving tomorrow." 

Phoenix's POV

One night. Like I'm going to listen to that. I fucked up and I know it. I need to show her that this is real, no matter how much of a fool I make myself. 

Natalia walks down the stairs in the shortest night dress that makes me mind go foggy. She grabs a blanket that lays on the couch and it's in that moment I realize that she is going to sleep in the same room as me. 

"Your sleeping here?" I look at her, my eyes roam over her body.

"Still can't fully trust you, so of course I am. Don't think it means anything else." I think she notices my stare, because she covers herself in the blankets tighter. 

I did that, I made her hide from me, I made her lose trust in me. It is going to take a lot to win her back, but I will do whatever it takes to get my Natalia back. 

Before I know it Natalia is fast asleep and the soft music in the living room continues to play. It always soothed her to listen to music when sleeping. 

I can't even shut my eyes, I'm too busy thinking how stupid I am and how I can solve this. I slowly lift myself up from the couch and head over to the kitchen. 

In Natalia eyes I might've looked completely helpless by not being able to take off my shirt, but all I really wanted was her to be close to me again. 

So yes, I did have enough strength, but I know Natalia is trying her hardest to distance herself from me, so if I had to play a little game just for her to touch me, then so be it. 

I look down at my bruises and they do look slightly better than five hours ago. I grab a glass of water and as I drink I keep my eyes on my beautiful girl. 

How do I deserve someone like her. She could have killed me, hell kicked me out sooner and leave me to die earlier, but she didn't. 

After all the shit I put her through, she is keeping me alive and I can't seem to understand why. 

I walk over to her and move her hair away from her face, my movements pause when the music starts to play our song. Its been a while since I've heard it. 

"I love you, and I'm going to prove it to you again. I know you hate me, but there is no way I'm going to live with that" I begin to whisper. 

"No way. I'm so sorry, my love." I kiss the top of her forehead and thumb glides over her soft cheek, her brows furrow together while she shifts in her sleep. 

I pull myself away from her and stay up thinking how I can this right.