Just the beginning

John b's pov:

'We're the pouges and our mission this summer is to have a good time, all the time.'

"That's a three story roof, I give you two about a one percent chance of survival." Pope and his science brain annonced to me and Bella who were standing on a roof.

I licked my finger and put in the air to see which way the wind was going. Bella wasn't paying any attention what so ever because she was lost in her own head, I was never sure about what. But she seems to be that way a lot now.

"Should I do it?" I asked looking to her but still she wasn't paying attention.

"Yeah jump." She said looking off into the distance before finally looking to me and her deep brown eyes made me smile.

"I'll shoot you on the way down." Pope said holding up an eletric screw driver.

"Your going to shoot him?" Bella asked confused standing up next to me but she lost balance.

Her beer went flying to the ground but I caught her before she could do the same thing. She looked at JJ who just shook his head no, there is no way he's giving her another beer.

"There going to have Japanese tolites with towel warmers." Kie said confused walking out of the small house me and Bella were standing on top of.

"Of course they are, why wouldn't they?" JJ asked saracastically but Kie paid no attention to the stupid question.

"This use to be a turtle habitat." Kie said walking towards Pope in her own little world but then her eyes fell on me and Bella.

"Can you two please not kill youselves?" Kie asked raising an eyebrow and Bella just giggled, god it was an amazing sound.

"Don't spill that beer like Bella. I'm not giving you another one." JJ said taking a swig of his own beer as my beer slid out of my hand and fell to the ground.

I groaned in frustration as Bella placed her chin on my shoulder. Assuming she had to stand on her tippy toes I grabbed her waste from behind so she doesn't loose balance and fall.

"Of course you did! Right after I told you not to." JJ rolled his eyes before noting the way me and Bella were standing, "Get your hands off my sister!"

"Hey uh, securitys here." Pope shouted to the four of us before turning and running along with JJ.

I quickly helped Bella down from the roof and I helped her to the ground before we all started running. Security was early today, that really wasn't a joke.

Bella and JJ, twins if you didn't already know, lead like always and both started getting attacked. One of the security gaurds thought they got a hold of the both of them. But they slipped out like usual.

"Hey not much of a hugger man!" JJ and Bella shouted back in unison.

I didn't see anything else because me and Kie left to get the Twinkie. But when I pulled around front Bella jumped the fence right as
the gaurd grabbed her hand.

She slammed the security gaurds hand against the fence so she could get away. And as I started driving away she dove into the back of the Twinkie completely out of breath.

Man do I love this girl.

'The outer banks paradise on earth, it's the sort of place where you either have two houses or two jobs. Two tribes one island.'

'Alright so this is Figure eight the rich side of the island. Home of the kooks. So, guess where we don't live.'

'And then this is the south side or the cut. Home of the working class who make a living busting tables, washing yachets, running chartes. Natural habat of the drum roll please... the pouges. That's us.'

'The pouges, pougies, the throw away fish. Lowest member of the food chain. Okay, so the down side of being a pouge is we're ignored and neglected. The upside of pouge life is we're ignored and neglected. Which means we do whatever we want whenever we want.'

'That's JJ my best friend since the third grade. He's about as local as they come. Latest in a long line of fishing, drinking, smuggling, vendetta-holding salt-lifers who made their living off the water. Best surfer I know...just don't tell him I told you that. Mild kleptomatic and a future tax cheat.'

'And that's Kiarra or Kie as we call her. And when she's not saving turtles, or listening to Marley, or getting a dolphin tattoo. She hangs out with us. I'm not really sure why. So, she's a rich kid, foot in both worlds. Her family owns the Wreck which is this Outer Banks institiution. Total cash cow for tourastis. You know, I'm not really sure how her parents feel about us. JJ and Pope really have a thing for her'

'And that's Pope the brains of the operation... finalest for the Lucause T. Vanderhorst Merit Scholorship. And the smartest person I know. A little bit of a weirdo. His father's this legendary character, Hayward. Anything you wanted on the island, Hayward could get it for you. Now I'm not sure if Hayward knew what to make of his oddball son. But it didn't matter. He was a pouge just like the rest of us.'

'That's Bella, JJ's twin sister. Now she may be a pouge but her best friend is a Kook, Sarah Camron, we're not sure how they meet. Let's just say Bella isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but man does she know how to kick someone's ass. And that's why we love her. She just recently started hanging out with us, but I think I'm starting to like her.'

'And that's me. John Booker Routlage. And this is where I live. An old fish shack on the marsh. The chateau, as my dad use to call it. There's dad, he disappered at sea nine monthes ago, looking for a shipwreck. Who disapperes at sea these days? I miss him. And then there's mom. She split when I was three. Last I heard she was in Colorado, or at least I think it was Colorado. That's Uncle T. Since dad vanished he's suppose to be taking care of me. At the moment he's in Mississippi building houses. Which means it's just me right now, on my own, hangin' with my friends.'