Light house

Redfield light house, John bs dad's favorite place. We all got out of the Twinkie and starred at it for a second. I love light houses. They're so amazing.

"Okay here's what's gonna happen. Right. You're gonna post up and look out for bogeys, okay?" John b said pointing at JJ who looked confused.

"Wait. Why me?" He asked as I smiled.

"Because you're not coming." I mentioned with a bright smile.

"Why?" JJ asked even more confused.

"There are independent and dependent variables." Pope started to explain as I gave John b a look, "You're an independent. We don't know what you'll do."

"Shut up!" I shouted causing the two boys to go quite instantly.

"Listen to me for a second." John b demanded after I caught the boys attention, "Pope, Kie, you guys stand look out with JJ. Okay? If we get split up, we meet back at JJ's house."

"Great." Kie replied as me and John b started to walk off.

We got into the light house and I looked up. I change my mind. I don't like light house's any more. Why are there so many stairs?

"Remind me what we're looking for again?" I asked as my eyes traveled up the spiral of stairs.

"We'll know it when we see it." John b replied before stepping on the first step, "Ladies first."

He held his hand out as I smiled and walked in front of him. we walked side by side up the stairs. And he continued to brush his hand against mine. Knowing what he wanted I grabbed his hand and interwinded our fingers.

I can do that because JJ's not here.

It felt like hours traveling up all the stairs but we finally got to the top. John b let go of my hand slowly as he walked towards a door and knocked on it.

"Nobody home." John b said after a second, but then the door opened.

An older looking man with red hair and a red beard opened the door. He looked exasted and his glasses made the bags under his eyes very visable.

"Um...we're here for the lighthouse." John b said hesitently as I slowly walked closer.

"The lighthouse is closed." The man said in a deep voice.

"Actually, we...we aren't here about the lighthouse." John b replied after the door shut, "We're here about the, uh... the Royal Merchant."

The door oepend again and this time we were let inside. The man explained everything to us as we walked to the outside of the lighthouse. I walked careefully starring off into the distance while John b payed attention to what the man was saying.

We were let back inside as we followed the man. I'm hoping that John b was paying attention, because I certainly wasn't. I enjoyed the view, it was amazing until we came back inside.

John b brought the compass out, and asked the man if he knew anything about it. But the man started to walk away. We followed the man as he walked away.

"Sir you won't believe what he's been through in the past 24 hours." I mentioned as I followed after quickly, "I mean, threatened, shot at, home invaded."

"My rooster was killed. Look, man, my dad wanted me to talk to you, okay?" John b said just trying to get the man to say something about the compass.

Anything.

But then he put his radio on. He told the women over the other line that we were drunk and bothering him. So we quickly fled.

It was the only thing we could do.

We ran down the stairs as fast as we possibly could. I pushed him out of the light house just to see JJ and the others drive off.

"Seriously?" I said irritated before grabbing John b's hand, "This way."

We hopped the fence and started running down the street as fast as possible. I looked back a few times just to make sure we weren't being followed.

And when we were clear we started walking again.

"Hey, look. You've--you've got to admit, that was kind of promising." John b mentioned as I just followed him walking through the grass, "I mean, my dad, the Royal Merchant, the ranger, the Royal Merchant. I mean, coincidence? I don't--I don't think so."

"It's his job to know about shipwrecks." I mentioned as me and John b finally let each other's hands go.

"Okay, but the Royal Merchant?" John b asked as he turned to look at me.

"That's like the most famous shipwreck of all time." I explained to him, while trying not to get angry, "Redfield's one of the most common names in the Outer Banks. That could mean anything. Look. As wild-goose chases go, this was a really good one."

"Look, I don't know. Maybe we missed something at the lighthouse." John b said stopping us again as he turned his full body towards me, "We--we should go back. You believe me, right? You always do."

"I think there might be some light to moderate concocting going on at this point. Look, uh...I get it." I said trying not to disappoint him.

"Bella, come on." He said as he looked away before looking back at me.

"You miss your dad. I know. I just don't understand why he would put a clue on a compass." I explained as John b shook his head.

"Cause he knew it would come back to me." John b explained causing me to tilt my head slightly.

I got closer to John b before pulling him to a hug. He didn't know how to react at first but he hugged me back eventully.

"You're losing it. You gotta pull it together." I said into his shoulder.

I finally pulled away and to my surprise John b kissed me. I slowly kissed him back before relizing, I should probably talk to JJ first.

I slowly pushed him away against my will. I wish I could have his lips on mine forever. But JJ is his best friend, and my brother. I need to talk to him.

"What was that?" I asked slightly confused, because I always thought I would have to make the first move.

"You. Uh...I'm--" He said awkwardly, "I'm--shit, I'm--I'm--I'm sorry."

"It's okay, I just want to talk to JJ first." I replied as I grabbed his hand and he smiled slightly.

"Oh, god I'm an idiot." John b said running a hand through his hair as I smiled.

"Yeah, a dead one." I laughed because JJ's totally gonna kill him.

"I'm--It's just because I'm freaking out..." John b explained as I tilted my head slightly.

Did he not really mean it?

"About my dad and the DCS stuff." John b continued to rant as a frown formed on my face.

"Stop. It's okay. I get--" I tried to explain.

"I can't breathe sometimes." John b said looking over me as I sighed.

"I know. Look, I don't even mind." I replied as I punched him lightly.

Of course he didn't really mean it.

"What?" He asked confused at my words.

"It's the rules you know?" I said sarcastically.

"Yeah, yeah."

"No pouge-on-pouge macking."

"Right, rules."

"Routledge. I got you, son." Sheriff Shoupe annonced getting out of his sheriff's car.

I stepped behind John b as he stepped infront of me. He held the compass out as I slowly grabbed it from him.