🗑️

Philemon was smirking at the sight of the trembling people he was passing by. It's not like he liked them, they  treated giants like crap, the least he could do was to intimidate them a little.

Many decades ago humanity subjugate giants' race, thanks to a chip they had injected into every single giant. With one press of a special button, chip was ending giant's life in a blink of an eye. That's why big folks had to obey humans, otherwise they were met with death itself.

All giants were homeless, some of them found refuge in vacants, others were forced to live in forests, on the beaches or in the mountains.

Giants' main task was to disposing trash by eating it, since they were known for their hard teeth, lack of taste sense and stomachs made out of steel, that's why trash never made them sick. Thanks to it, humanity got rid of dumps and could transform it into better places. For humans, of course.

And that's where Philemon was heading to. He was responsible for emptying preschools', elementary schools', middle schools' and high schools' trash cans.

He stopped by Pinewood Elementary School - the first school on his list. He patiently waited for trash cans to be taken out. As soon as three large plastic boxes full of trash were exposed to Philemon, he snatched one of them and having lifted it up to his mouth, he let the content enter his mouth. After he swallowed it, he set the first trash can down and was about to empty second one, when he noticed with a corner of his eye a small movement behind it.

Giant swiftly lifted up the trash can and became greatly surprised, when he saw what - or rather who - had been hiding behind it.

Little human girl was something like out of "The Little Match Girl". She was wearing dirty brown dress with a hood sewed out from several patches. She had caramel brown messy long braided up hair. Her eyes were green, her face was dotted with multiple freckles.

Philemon was confused. She didn't seem like other children he had met before, quite the opposite - she was skinny, she seemed tired, sad and scared. And most importantly - she was alone. There was no sign of an adult, who could potentially be her guardian.

As soon as little girl's existence was discovered, she whimpered at the sight of the massive being and having ran off a little, she huddled against school's wall.

Giant shrugged it off and emptied second trash can. But when he was about to end third one, he saw as girl was looking at it, while licking her lips. And that's when it dawned on giant, that she was just like him - homeless and hungry.

He shouldn't have cared. He should have been happy that she'll die before she learns to despise and torture giants. But looking down at her pathetic little form, Philemon felt weird feeling in his heart. Perhaps compassion?

He sighed quietly and having moved trash can closer to little girl, he tilted it, causing content to fall out of it.

Small girl timidly tiptoed to the trash mountain and began to pick up edible, not rotten food and stuffed it in her satchel hanging over her arm. 

After she filled her bag, she looked into giant's eyes and then ran off to God knows where.

Giant ate rest of trash and stood up, turning his footsteps towards another school.

***

But it wasn't the end. It was just a beginning.

Everyday, as soon as Philemon shown up at Pinewood Elementary School, little girl was appearing out of nowhere and kept giant company, hoping he would share his "meal" with her.

Philemon quickly get accustomed to her presence and he eagerly helped her with getting food from trash cans - it wasn't like he was starving when he was sharing it with her.

He would never have imagined helping a human, they didn't deserve sympathy. So what made this girl different? Perhaps her young age and fact that she was alike him made Philemon's stony heart sensitive.

***

Giant had just emptied last trash can assigned to him, when he heard a distant rumble and felt few raindrops splashing on his cheeks. He tighter wrapped his coat around him and began to going back to his vacant he claimed few months ago.

But when he reached Pinewood Elementary School area, a faint sob came to his ears. Giant followed the sound and saw his little companion, laying in the large cardboard box, being covered with now completely soaked newspapers. She was trembling from the cold and was quietly crying to herself.

Without thinking long, Philemon reached his hand and clasped it over her. With his second hand he pulled a cloth out of his left pocket and then wrapped it tightly around the girl.

After that, he gently pressed her against his chest and resumed going back to his vacant.

***

It didn't take long for giant to reach his place. He carefully sat down and having removed his hand from his chest, looked at the little girl.

She was now sleeping, her paleness was now replaced with pink cheeks and she wasn't trembling anymore. She was hugging giant's thumb, as if it was a teddy bear.

Philemon tried to gently get her off from his hand, to move her on probably more comfortable mattress, but she clutched more onto his thumb in response.

He sighed quietly and began to gently stroke her back with his other hand. After that, he gently laid down, watching his movements, not wanting to hurt little human.

"Oh Philemon, what have you got yourself into?" he thought grumpily before falling asleep with little girl still sleeping on his hand.