🥫

Every day was precarious.

Gabriel was never sure, if he finds food or metal to sell on that day. He never knew what will meet him in this damn city, he had to be prepared for everything. For example mafias' attacks or random curfews.

Man was digging in trash can, trying to find any metal pieces or at least cans. Sometimes he tried to find some food too, but usually he wasn't able to overcome mutant animals, which also were feeding on garbage. So, his only solution was to sell metal and buy little food for it.

He felt his stomach growling. He put his hand on it, patting it tenderly.

- I know bud. I do have some food, but first we have to find "commodity", to be sure we'll have anything to eat tomorrow - he mumbled to himself.

Gabriel found five cans, he put them to his backpack. He moved forward narrow gap to another trash can. His eyes glistened with joy, when he saw that it wasn't disposed yet.

He pounced on it and started to stuff every metal thing, but stopped having heard a soft whimper coming from behind the next trash can.

Gabriel tensed - most of the creatures were dangerous ones and treatments were incredibly expensive, he couldn't afford it in case of being hurt.

Man pulled tear gas out of his backpack and shakily tiptoed to the source of the sound.

- Ha! - he shouted loud and angrily with the object of scaring the intruder off, but he cocked his head, seeing what that was. A mini-giant.

These half-breeds were despised by both humans and giants. They always were disowned by their parents and left alone in the dark streets. Most of them didn't live to adulthood.

This one was a boy, Gabriel would bet him to be around 9 years old. Mini-giant wasn't much bigger than man himself, the difference between their heights was about 2-3 feet. He was wearing way too long cloak and as soon as he noticed that Gabriel found him, he covered his head with hood, so man didn't examine all features of boy's face.

Man only shrugged - this mini-giant didn't pose a threat, so he decided he won't waste more time on him. Man hid the tear gas and came back to collecting metal.

Suddenly, his work was disturbed by rumbling sound. He raised his head up and his gaze rested on the boy, who placed his hands on his stomach. "He must be hungry" Gabriel thought. He looked into his backpack, where he had a big loaf of bread and few tomatoes. He sighed in annoyance and pulled the food out. Then, he tossed them on the ground, they landed near boy.

Gabriel came back to his work once more, soon munching sound could be heard. Man broke first rule of this precarious world: "Count only on yourself", but he actually felt... nice.

***

At the time Gabriel ended collecting metal, the Sun has set and he couldn't go to purchase of metal to sell it. "Well, I'll just sleep through the hunger" he thought grumpily and went away from the trash cans. Not longer after that, man heard heavy footsteps following him. He turned around and no surprise, it was the mini-giant.

- Look kid, I only helped you ONCE, I don't want to be your babysitter, so scram! - he snarled. Hooded boy took few steps back. Man resumed his walk, but boy followed him once more. Gabriel turned around again, visibly agitated.

- Shoo! - he yelled and waved his arms. Mini-giant stepped back. Man began to head his home once more, but soon enough he heard heavy footsteps following him again.

He turned around to scold mini-giant kid, but this time boy took his hood down and man was able to see his features.

Boy had muddy-brown, short, thin hair and amethyst eyes. He was extremely skinny, his cheekbones were exposed. Man guessed that if he hadn't gave him food, he wouldn't make it to tomorrow.

He sighed out in annoyance and run his hand down his face. He then again began to go back home, with boy following him.

Gabriel walked up to heavy, metal safe-like door and lifted it up. He looked at boy, then pointed at the hole.

- What are you waiting for? You got your way, come inside before it gets really cold - man murmured.

Boy hopped inside the bunker, man followed him and closed their refuge.

***

Having a mini-giant in the home had one advantage: he was a great heating pillow, man hadn't had such warm night for a long time.

Boy didn't say his name or anything in particular. Gabriel didn't know if it's because he's shy or because he can't. But he decided he won't be pushing him.

Every day was precarious.

But there was one thing, that from now on will remain the same: an unusual companion.