🧚🏻

Distraught Zander was walking among his wheat, which was being attacked by a fungus, which caused a powdery mildew. He was inspecting every blade and it seemed that all his crop got that disease. He'll suffer hunger, if a miracle don't happen.

He sighed painfully and went back to his small cottage. He opened the door and entered his home, hanging his hat on the hanger.

He then turned his footsteps towards the kitchen, where he was about to make himself a small snack, when something surprised him.

On the counter were standing two small human-shaped figures, but they had wings on their backs.

- But fairies don't exist - man murmured. He didn't even notice he said it out loud, but then one of the little folks spoke up:

- W-well, we do, b-but we usually d-don't s-show up t-to you, a-as your k-kind l-likes t-to abuse s-smaller species.

True, humankind hates bugs and mice. But then, why did those two risk their lives by coming here to Zander?

- Then, why are you here? Aren't you afraid of me? - he asked fairies.

They walked up to the counter's edge and that allowed man to see the details of their appearances.

Both of them were males. One had messy, short, blue hair, dark pink eyes and dragonfly wings, he was wearing clothes made from tulip petals. Second had green, braided hair, muddy-brown eyes and he was wearing clothes made of sunflower petals. He had an apollo butterfly wings, but a part of the right one was missing, it seemed that it had been ripped off. Zander immediately knew why they're here.

- You see, b-birds, f-fawns and bugs were praising you, s-saying you're a k-kind, g-gentle, p-patient and h-helpful human. S-so w-we thought... - healthy fairy stammered. Man's face expression softened.

- Of course I'll help you, but you have to cooperate too - he said. Both fairies nodded.

He led them to the second room, where his craft bench was. He pulled out a piece of paper and pencil, then he instructed the fairy to lay down, so that he'll be able to copy the shape of his healthy wing. Green haired fairy obeyed and laid flat. Zander gently and very carefully copied the wing, sometimes fairy flinched, but then the second boy was calming him down.

After the wing was copied, Zander painted it the way it resembled the real one. He then cut it out. After that, he took a toothpick and covered it in glue. Man then spread a thin layer of glue on the paper wing and the broken one. He gently put the missing part on the wing and hold it up for a while. He then retracted his hand - the wing didn't fall off.

- It seems good, but we should wait till it dries completely - Zander said.

Fairies then told him their names - the blue haired fairy name was Dandelion and green haired name was Leaf. The wild animals knew them very well and having seen what happened to Leaf, they suggested meeting with Zander, as he was a trustworthy human.

After an hour or so, wing seemed stable, it was time to test it. Man was sitting close, in case he had to catch the fairy.

Leaf hopped off of the bench and flapped his wings, soon he was soaring around the room, happy he regained his ability to fly.

Joyous Dandelion flew up to his friend and hugged him tightly. Fairies then looked down at the human staring at them.

- Thank you so much! We won't forget to reward you! - Leaf exclaimed.

Zander only smiled, as he doubted that these two little lads would realistically reward him with something valuable.

- It was nothing - he just said.

Fairies bid their farewells and left farmer's house.

***

Zander rushed out of his house, to see how many of his crops have already died from the disease.

To his surprise, his field was filled with the beautiful, golden carpet of a perfectly normal wheat, as if the disease never happened.

He saw two trails of a sparkling dust, his gaze followed them. He then noticed two familiar small silhouettes, soaring above his field, bringing wheat to life.

Leaf and Dandelion saw how man was staring at them and waved at him. Smiley Zander waved back.

Thanks to them, he won't starve this year. Man couldn't be more thankful.