🦚

Ptakarr - 35 foot tall humanoid creatures with various bird rears, who also have bird lower limbs instead of hands.

Skebi peeked through the gap. There were so many humans out tonight, as it was Brazilian Carnival. It was impossible of him to sneak past them unnoticed, considering his appearance, colors and height.

Skebi was a Ptakarr - in his case, he had a peacock rear, which made him painfully discernible.

He just wanted to fit in! It's not like he chose to have a peacock features!

Long evolution of Ptakarr caused them to have dark skin and their feathers to be either brown or grey - a tactical protection from predators.

Unlucky, there were still few individuals which were born with pale skin and feathers of rich colour range. And Skebi happened to be one of those unfortunates.

Understandably, no Ptakarr wanted to be close to the colorful freaks - they increased the risk of being seen by predators. And even bird folks were huge, they still had rooted the fear of predators in their instinct. They never were fighting back, they were fleeing.

Skebi wished for nothing more, than just to hang out with his peers. They told him that they will accept him to their flock under one condition - he had to bring them anything from a human nest.

He had agreed without hesitation. Now he regretted it. He managed to break into human hangar and found a mask. But he didn't know that it was one of the nights when humans dance, cheer and fire fireworks.

And now because of his ignorance, he had to stay in hidden for who knows how long. He shuddered at the thought of what would humans do to him if they found him. These hairless monkeys were known for abusing other animals for their selfish reasons.

He gasped, seeing how couple of humans were heading towards his hideout. He looked around and panicked, when he couldn't find any place to hide. Only few platforms, but they wouldn't cover him from humans' vision.

He then noticed that one platform was empty, just covered with some clothing and flowers. He bit his lip - his idea was risky, but he didn't have any other choice.

He stepped onto that platform and stood still. He knew that after platforms drive through the city, they'll finish their route near forest. He just have to pretend that he's an animatronic and after that he'll get to escape. Hopefully.

Of course, humans paid attention to him first. Two males walked over to him, Skebi tried his best to look like a robot.

- Huh, I haven't seen this platform here before - one said.

- Same, I would definitely remember a platform with gigantic, robotic half-human, half-peacock creature - second added.

- Eh, artists these days... - first male murmured. Second male nodded in agreement.

They walked up to the hangar's gates and opened them. Skebi watched in horror how humans were flooding inside and preparing for the Sambadrome.

Many of them approached the platform he was on. They eyed him, took photos of him, talked about how extraordinary he was.

After everyone was settled on their places, the platforms were released and they drove onto the main street in Rio de Janeiro.

Skebi was having a hard time standing still. There were millions of humans observing him, causing him to want to flee. But he couldn't blow his cover, it could lead to catastrophic events.

His muscles were slowly began to ache from lack of movement. He needed to move, but he had to do it in a way to resemble animatronic movements.

He knew how those pieces of junk worked. He once watched a whole performance of robots. He wondered how it was possible that humans weren't afraid of them. They were so unnatural, it made them creepy.

So he tried. He was moving his arms slowly and robotically. He heard humans' voices:

- Look, the robot began to move!

- Wow, it looks so real now!

- It's amazing! I'm sure that designer of this animatronic is so proud of himself!

- Do you think that it'll spread its tail?

- I wish it did that, I want to see it.

Hearing humans' wish, he thought it wouldn't hurt to grant it. After all, they still believed that he was a robot.

So he spread his tail. Humans gasped at the sight of it, admiring the elaborate eye-spots.

- Look how gorgeous it is now!

- It's so beautiful!

- Only beautiful? The robot is stunning!

- Whoever designed it, is a pure genius!

- The colors, the tail, everything! I can't even describe its beauty!

Skebi blushed at the comments. He was told his whole life that he was ugly, that he brought danger with his colors. Females seeing his tail, chased him away, yelling at him that he's hideous and should be ashamed to stroll like that through the rainforest.

But these humans didn't spare compliments and were truly enjoying his appearance. It was so sad, that other species was kind to him and his own wasn't.

- I wonder if that robot can dance - voice came to Ptakarr's ears. Without hesitation, he shook his tail and began to dance.

Now that was something! People were cheering at him, soon joined him in the dance, mimicking his moves.

Skebi was beyond ecstatic, seeing how hairless monkeys joined the fun! It made him feel worthy and beautiful, something he thought was beyond his reach.

One human got too confident and climbed up one platform with sheer palm tree in the middle of it. He had such wild moves, that he bumped into the ornament and knocked it over.

Skebi was a little confused, seeing that humans scattered away from one platform, but he saw just in time how a palm tree was falling down.

Right on a small human cub.

Without thinking, he leaped forward and having caught human, did a somersault, shielding cub with his body. They both managed to avoid the tree, but Skebi sprained his leg, as he wrongly positioned it during the somersault.

He unintentionally released little human from his hands, it rolled few iches away from him.

Luckily, its mama appeared by its side and calmed it down.

But because of his heroism, his cover got blown. Humans were looking at him in awe, few were filming him, others shielded their cubs from him.

Skebi tried to get on to his feet, but his injured leg didn't let him. He collapsed again and squawked in pain.

He cowered, sensing few humans coming up to him. He prepared himself for being shot or tear apart.

He definitely wasn't ready for gentle pets and cooing.

He raised his head up and looked at the humans in confusion. They didn't have the look like other predators hunting Ptakarr. They were looking at him like a parent would look at their juvenile - with compassion, worry and love.

It did calm him down. One human caressed his cheek and rubbed his chin, which completely lulled his instincts.

- Don't worry big guy, we'll help you with your leg - human pampering him said.

And Skebi believed him.