💊

Topi was abruptly awoken by inhuman sounds coming from the other side of the wall. Knowing very well what that meant, he quickly got dressed in clothes he had under his hand and rushed to the entrance of his hideout.

Borrower opened the door and walked out to the bean's desk. He turned the night light on and turned his attention to the bed, where bean was violently flinching, tossing and turning.

Topi knew that bean's behavior wasn't caused by a nightmare. Tommi - the human - had this weird illness called "schizophrenia". From what he understood, it made bean to see things that weren't real, hear odd and scary voices in his head, he had problem with his memory. Topi also observed that Tommi often had moments of inaction - he could lay in his bed all day long, without the need to eat or to go to the bathroom.

Borrower clearly remembered the day - or rather night - they met. Tommi was having one of his delusions and there was no one around to comfort him. Topi felt pity for the bean, as he knew how it felt to be all alone. He worked up the courage and revealed himself to the bean.

Tommi was sure that Topi was an imaginary figment, there was no way he just had met a tiny person living in his walls. It suited borrower just fine, he didn't have to worry about being told about to other beans and being handheld, as Tommi was scared that the moment he touches the borrower, he will vanish.

They became friends in no time and they both were reaping the benefits from their friendship. Tommi had a trustworthy bud to talk with about his problems and delusions. Topi on the other hand didn't have to worry about borrowing necessities and mouse traps anymore. Plus, Tommi loved to create tiny things from wooden planks, he built door to borrower's home, as well most of the furniture in Topi's home.

Of course, it's hard to be friends with person with schizophrenia. Tommi could be scary and noisy sometimes, even if he didn't mean it. His illness was unpredictable. When Topi thought nothing would surprise him anymore, Tommi did such things, that borrower wasn't leaving his home for days, being petrified.

Now was one of such moments when borrower would rather stay in his home and ignore bean. But this time it was a serious matter, as he saw how Tommi was suffocating himself with his own hands.

Frightened borrower took a run-up and having bounced off of the desk, directed his body to land on the soft mattress. He then quickly got to the human and having hopped onto his chest, tried with all his might to pull back one of bean's hands.

- Tommi stop! You're hurting yourself! - he shouted, his voice was thick with tears.

- It's not me! My demons are trying to kill me - human mustered, not knowing that hands of his "demons" were his own.

- No! These are your hands! Please stop! - borrower begged. To no avail, human didn't listen. Topi then went under bean's hands and tried to push them back with his whole body. Only to be snatched and dumped on the floor. It was quite a long fall, but borrower didn't mind - he knew that bean won't apologize to him, since human will be insisting that it was "demon" who dumped him. He just brushed it off, when he noticed something under Tommi's bed.

He went there and gasped, seeing plenty of pills laying there. Human should have taken those, no wonder why his schizophrenia was getting worse for the last few days.

- Tommi, why weren't you taking your pills? - borrower called out. He felt how human stopped to shift on his bed. There was a moment of silence, broken by a lie:

- What do you mean? Of course I'm taking them!

Borrower took as many pills as he was able to carry and went from underneath the bed to the open. He placed them down in front of him and looked at human disapprovingly. Tommi was now laying on the edge of his bed, looking down at the borrower with guilt painted on his face.

- Why are you doing this? You have to take them, otherwise you could hurt yourself! - Topi scolded giant. His anger melted into confusion, when he saw tears running down bean's cheeks.

- I-I k-know I should be t-taking them, b-but I d-don't want t-to - Tommi hiccuped.

- But why? - borrower didn't understand.

- I-If I take them, a-all my delusions w-will d-disappear. Including y-you - human said. Topi finally got what bean meant.

- So you weren't taking your pills... For me? - he couldn't believe it. Tommi nodded.

- I prefer t-to b-battle away thousand of m-monsters every day and b-be with y-you, than being alone again - human confessed.

Borrower was flattered. So for all these days, human was suffering for Topi's sake, because he didn't want him to disappear.

But this had to end. Borrower's cover will be blown, but it's high time Tommi learnt the truth.

- I understand your fears, but you have to take your pills - Topi said. Human shook his head.

- Haven't you heard what I said? I don't want you to disappear! - he cried.

- It's going to be okay. I won't disappear, I promise - borrower crossed his heart. He then walked up to laying little jar, popped up its lid and took one pill out. He ran up to bed again and reached out his tiny arms. Human gently took the pill and having put it in his mouth, drank plenty of water. He let out a long yawn and having covered himself with quilt, fell asleep.

Topi grabbed the dangling end of the quilt and climbed it up, then laid down comfortably on human's chest, nodding off to booming, yet soothing heartbeat beneath him.

***

Tommi woke up, feeling full of energy. He didn't have such calm night for days. But then he frowned, knowing that it cost him the loss of his tiny friend. It's okay though. He just won't be taking pills for few next days and Topi will come back.

As he was sitting up, he felt something clutching onto his shirt and heard:

- Hey! Be more careful!

Tommi rubbed his eyes, not believing in what he was seeing. He quickly cupped his hands around the tiny person, so that he won't fall. Teen let out a sob of relief, for it was Topi in his hands.

- You... You didn't disappear - Tommi stuttered. Borrower nodded.

- Wait... So that means you were real all the time?! - he asked loudly, Topi had to cover his ears. Human sent an apologetic look.

- Y-yes. I was afraid t-to tell you, because t-then y-you would tell about m-me other h-humans and I would have to m-move out - he confessed. Tommi saddened at borrower's words.

- Topi, you're my best friend. Of course I won't tell anyone - he said and pressed borrower against his chest, in a kind of hug. Topi gave in, he began to love human's warmth and gentleness.

He turned red, feeling bean's lips giving him a tender kiss on his head. He raised his head and looked at Tommi's face confused.

- Thank you for being real - human said and once more give borrower a kiss.

- No problem - Topi murmured, burying his face in human's shirt.

Their fears and doubts vanished as the time passed. Learning how to trust each other again was a beautiful gift from fate.