👶

Keelan was among the small bushes, picking blueberries for the pie his wife was going to bake. He was throwing tiny fruits to the basket, eating some from time to time. He also was raising his head from time to time, making sure his beloved one was in his eyesight.

Suddenly, he heard a muffled rumble far away. He looked up at the sky, it was so dark it felt like it was night already. Strong wind began to blow, there was no way they'll reach their hometown before the storm.

- Hazel! - young man called - We have to go search for some shelter, we won't make it in time to go to home! - he said.

Girl nodded in agreement and soon they both were roaming through the forest, trying to find a safe place to wait for the storm to stop.

After a while of running, they stumbled upon a grotto. It seemed safe, without any wolves or bears, so they entered it. Just in time - barely they got there, a heavy rain started to pour and the thunder got louder.

They looked at the outside, regretting not bringing any wood to their temporary shelter - they could have started a fire to get warm.

Keelan perked up, hearing a noise coming from the depths of the grotto. Hazel seemed to hear it too, she got all tensed up.

Man took a large crystal from the pocket of his cloak and shook it, causing it to glow. He took his wife's hand and they wandered further into the grotto.

The noise became louder and it started to sound like a crying of a baby. But what baby in the world would be able to be so loud?

They were soon to find out.

When the wailings were at their loudest, couple reached something wooden and very large. They had walked around that mysterious object and they understood it.

This was a gigantic crib, with an equally gigantic baby laying inside it.

- But giants don't exist! They're a myth! - Hazel shouted, full of fear.

- Well, it seems like this one doesn't know about it! - Keelan shouted too, trembling slightly.

- We have to leave, before it or its parents find us here! - woman exclaimed and dragged her husband by his sleeve.

Keelan first gave in, but after he listened closer to baby's sobs, it started to sound so sad and pathetic, that it awoke man's parental instincts.

He snatched his sleeve from Hazel's grip and ran back to the crib. Frightened girl followed him, yelling:

- Are you crazy?! We have to get out of here!

- Wait, I need to test something - man murmured and climbed up to the crib's edge and stood up, looking now down at the baby.

It was 4 times bigger than him, it didn't have hair nor teeth and overall looked as if it was born only few weeks ago. It was wearing some clothes made of mooses' fur and was covered with blanket made out of some rag with holes in it. It stopped crying as soon as it saw that man was staring at it and tilted its head curiously.

Even though it was huge, it was absolutely helpless and harmless and it melted Keelan's heart. It also seemed that its parents weren't around, but why did they leave it here?

- Keelan! Get down here before it makes you its meal! - Hazel whispered-yelled at her husband.

- There's no chance it'll eat me, it doesn't even have milk teeth - he replied - And it's really adorable, don't you want to see it? - he asked. Girl frantically shook her head.

- No way! I don't want to be near a man-eating monster! - she said.

- But it's just a baby, it couldn't have hurt anybody, it can't even move. Besides, didn't you want a child? Come, you'll see what a cute marshmallow it is - he said and reached his arm to her. She begrudgingly took it and he having lifted her up, safely set her on the crib's edge, helping her regain her balance.

She then looked at the giant baby. It really looked adorable and was harmless, just like Keelan said. Her eyes softened and she let out a small "aww".

- Aren't you a cutie-patootie? - she cooed. Baby giggled in response and lifted up its hands.

They spent time with the giant baby, talking to it, singing to it, until they heard that storm was over.

Couple left the crib and went outside.

- We have to try find baby's parents, it can't be here all alone - Keelan said.

- You're right boo. You'll go left, I'll go right and if we find something, we'll meet in front of the grotto's entrance, okay? - Hazel suggested. Man nodded and turned left. Girl turned right and tried to find any signs of giants, who could potentially be baby's parents.

***

They met in front of the grotto, but didn't have good news.

- Did you find something? - Hazel asked.

- Nope, you?

- No - she said in cracked voice.

They went back to the crib and climbed it up. The baby was long asleep, not knowing that its parents won't come back.

- So, it seems that this baby is left high and dry - Keelan said. Hazel nodded, sniffling quietly, hugging her husband stronger.

Keelan looked down at the baby once more. He and Hazel couldn't have their own children, no matter how hard they tried. This baby had awoken their parental instincts, the ones they thought they'll never experience.

Keelan lifted up his wife's chin and looked into her teary eyes.

- Wouldn't you want to take care of it with me, like it's our own? - he asked her. Her eyes widened.

- Are you serious? - she couldn't believe it.

- Well, I am aware it'll be harder than taking care of a normal baby, but I promise I'll be the best father for it. Of course, if you agree to be its mother - he said.

Hazel looked at her husband and then at the giant baby. It hasn't done anything wrong, it didn't deserve to be alone. And with human parents, maybe it'll grow up to be a good, gentle giant?

She pecked Keelan's lips.

- I want to take care of it. And with you by my side, I'll be a mother it deserves to have - she claimed.

They both hugged each other and then looked at their new, foster baby, being beyond happy, now that they fullfilled their dream.