🍖

Hubert nervously gulped, seeing that he had already reached the desolation of giants. His home village was laying behind it, there was no other way around.

Luckily, it was still afternoon, so he had quite lot of time to reach his home before sun sets.

He entered giants' territory. His each step was nervous, his heart was pounding and he felt dryness in the throat.

He heard many stories from those who had the luck and escaped those humongous brutes. Giants liked to eat humans raw, they hunted in packs like wolves and they were sharing their meals. Humans were an easy prey, since giants didn't have to leave their desolation - it was the humans who put their feet on monsters' territory.

Hubert slightly calmed down, seeing that he was all alone. No sign of giants. Well, it's not like there would be giants during the day. They were night predators, but as they say: it's better safe than sorry.

His stomach growled, reminding him that it was high time for a snack break. Man spotted a rock nearby and headed towards it. He sat on it and having pulled a small loaf of bread, began to eat it.

***

Gordan was hidden behind withered tree and watched. There was a single human few iches away from him. Perfect.

He remembered that he has to be intimidating and has to play with the human a little, before devouring him whole.

He took few deep breaths and put on the scariest face he could do. "Okay, you've got this" he thought to himself and having jumpscared the human, said:

- Well, well, well. What is a morsel like you doing here alone?

***

To say that Hubert was petrified would be an understatement. A giant popped out of nowhere and called him a morsel - he knew he was screwed.

He expected to be snatched up and crushed between enormous teeth, but then giant said:

- Since I'm feeling generous today, I'll give you a head start. Run and when I count to 10, I'll start chasing you.

Hubert thought giant was joking, but when monster started to count, he jumped to his feet and ran like hell, hoping that he had a chance to get away from the giant. Nope.

It took few seconds for huge being to outrun the human. Giant grabbed man and lifted him up. Hubert yelped, knowing that he was as good as dead now.

But when beast didn't eat him the second he got captured, man looked at the giant, who looked at him with... sympathy?

It quickly changed. Giant shook his head and snarled:

- I'm sure you'll taste better if I cook you first!

He tightened his grip on the human and began to head somewhere, probably to his tribe.

But Hubert noted few odds. First, giant was alone and not in the pack, untypical for his kind. Second, giant wanted to cook him. All stories clearly stated that these beasts preferred to eat humans alive. Third, he was awake during the day. Strange.

Giant was trekking for a little longer, until he reached a wooden cabin in a middle of nowhere. He opened the door and entered the building.

There was only one room with table, large bed and cauldron. Giant walked up to the table, opened a cage and shoved human inside it, closing it .

He then took very large bucket and went out.

Everything made Hubert confused. He knew that giants lived in simple mud huts, not caring a bit about decorating them. Yet, this cabin had few paintings hanging on the walls, there were few bears' skin on the floor as carpets and a small bush planted in a flowerpot.

Man tried to open the lock, but to no avail. Giant came back, he had few vegetables in his left hand, in his right hand he was carrying the bucket filled with water.

Giant put vegetables on the table, he then poured water to the cauldron and started a fire. As soon as water boiled, he added the vegetables there and stirred the mixture. Now, it was time for the last ingredient.

Giant took the human from the cage and walked back to the cauldron. He straightened his arm with human in his hand, intending on dropping him to the boiling water. But when he saw the terror in human's eyes, his heart dropped.

- No, Gordan. You're a real giant and you will eat that human, whether you like it or not! - giant said to himself. Yet, he couldn't bring himself to let go of human.

He battled with himself for quite a while, until he felt defeated and said:

- I can't do it...

He then proceed to put human on the floor and snarled:

- Go and never come back.

Hubert was tempted to comply to giant's words, but his heart convinced him to stay. He figured out that the giant wasn't like others of his kind and he wanted to know why.

- Why didn't you eat me? I thought humans are giants' favorite snack - he said.

- They are. But apparently, I am not a real giant - large being replied.

- What do you mean? - man got curious.

- I haven't eaten a single human, not even once. I got called a disgrace to giantkind by my tribe and they banished me. They told me that I can get back only if I eat a human. I tried, I really did, but I can't do it... It disgusts me, the thought of eating something so similar to me - giant confessed.

Hubert couldn't believe his luck. He stumbled upon a fluke, a giant who doesn't eat humans. He got to live another day!

His joy was interrupted by giant's voice:

- Now that you know, you can start laughing.

- Why would I do that? - man was surprised.

- Because I'm a wimp and can't even eat a human. I'm not a real giant - he said.

- I don't think you're a wimp. You just made a choice to not eat humans. If other giants can't respect it, that's their loss - Hubert replied.

- But they're not the ones who got banished and have to live alone, without friends or family - giant responded.

"So that's an issue, huh?" Hubert thought. True, giants lived in tribes, but were they really so close to each other, that banishment could make them so upset?

- Well, if you want, I can be your friend - man suggested. Giant perked up and looked down at the human, trying to detect a trick.

- Why would you want to be friends with someone who threatened to eat you? Are you insane? - giant mumbled.

- Well you didn't eat me, did you? Besides, I'm known in my home village as the oddball - he reached out his hand - I'm Hubert - he introduced himself.

Giant looked at the hand, unsure what to do with it. Man noticed it and said:

- Take it in your hand and shake it, but please be gentle.

Giant did as man had said and introduced himself:

- I'm Gordan.