two.

«•»

ELYSE'S POV

Race day.

I found out that I lost 4 kilos during the past few days. Even though it wasn't much of a surprise. I mean, after puking half what my body contained I think that's pretty reasonable.

Anyways, I was finally back in the paddock. Lewis and I arrived in fashion, as he always says.

Deciding to be extra today, we took two motorbikes (both with our numbers on them) and did wheelies in the parking lot where fans and photographers were watching us. Lewis had the british flag tied around him while i had the spanish flag tied around me.

Once we stopped the motorbikes, the crowd cheered as we took off our helmets and high-fived each other.

I decided to sign a few caps and t-shirts and quickly decided to get going when a guy asked me to sign his abs— which I did, but that's besides the point.

Hailey was quick to pull me into the media pen to give some interviews since I hadn't done any ever since the weekend started.

"Welcome back to the paddock, Elyse. It's good to have you back." WILL BUXTON greeted me.

"Thank you, will. It's good to be back." I beamed.

"Most importantly though, are you feeling well enough to drive today?"

"Yup, all cleared by the doctor." I nodded.

"Based on the car's performance the whole weekend, do you think you'll be able to move your car from P5 to a podium slot or even aim for the win despite just recovering from sickness?"

"I hope so." I chuckled nervously, "I'm yet to get into the car since testing but after going through all the data we've gathered I think it'll be possible."

"Awesome to hear." Will smiled, "Well, I hope you have a good race, we'll be cheering you on."

"And I'll make sure not to disappoint." I pretended to salute and that was how I spent my next hour.

«•»

It was 15 minutes till the race lights go out. I was having my usual pre-race jitters, I took out a single pill of Xanax and plopped it in my mouth with my shaky hands.

Nobody but Lewis and my therapist and Hailey knew about how bad my anxiety got before races which is why I was prescribed to meds.

Personally, I'd think that without them I wouldn't be able to function properly during a race without them since my mind would be a chaotic mess.

It wasn't because I was scared to drive but it was more like my brain acts up before I race for some reason. It was something I've been experiencing ever since I got into one-seater competitions.

I take one deep breath to calm my nerves down as the Xanax started doing its job. I put my airpods max on my ears as I blocked the world surrounding me.

Most drivers usually hang out together or with their team before the race begins but I find that rather distracting.

Two knocks on my door let me know it was time to head out. One last breath before driving my best out there.

«•»

5 lights. Each one feels like it takes an eternity to go off. and before I knew it, as Crofty likes to say, it's lights out and away we go.