thirty one.

MAX's POV

I had the worst birthday ever.

I decided to spend it with my family rather than throw a party. It was me, Kelly and P, my mom and dad, and my sister. The night was pretty awkward to say the least.

My divorced parents were in one room, and I was having way too many problems with Kelly.

I don't know what caused mayhem to fall but suddenly, my dad was throwing things and cursing me. As if I wasn't in an already shitty mood ever since Elyse's outburst, Kelly had to point out that ever since Elyse and I have been having fighting I've been, and I quote, 'stuck in that tiny head of yours' . It wasn't necessarily false, but I don't appreciate people pointing out my flaws. Especially her. Everything she's been doing lately has been throwing me off and I remember the night of our big fight vividly.

"You've been stuck in that tiny head of yours ever since the whole thing with Elyse started and I've stayed silent and believed you when you said she's got nothing on me despite everybody telling me to leave you for that!" She pointed an accusing finger at me, "Now, it feels like I'm dating someone who's too wrapped up in his thoughts to even bother to make time for me when he's already busy enough."

"Why do you have to bring up Elyse in every. single. fight?! It's fucking exhausting, Kelly! Are you really that insecure? I told you hundreds of times that there is nothing between us, it's all a facade and you keep falling for it every time! How is that supposed to be my problem?!" I yelled, "Don't forget, you were the one who agreed to it in the first place. And excuse me for being lost in my thoughts ever now and then, I've got a fucking championship on the line and your constant whining and complaining doesn't help!"

"Oh I'm sorry I'm such a bad girlfriend for trying to help you win!" She sarcastically apologized.

"As if I can't win on my own?! You're just like my dad, you don't believe in me." I spat, looking at her in disgust and disbelief.

"Well maybe your dad has a good reason for that!" She spurred before realizing what she said, "Shit, Max— I didn't mean that—"

"Get out." I demanded.

"Max—"

"Get out now." I pointed at the door. "I don't ever want to see you again."

"What? Are you kidding, Max?"

"Does it look like I'm kidding, Kelly?" I deadpanned.

"What about Penelope? What will we do without you?" She started tear up.

"I'm sure you'll find another driver to claim." I didn't even care about hurting her feelings. I was so done.

"So is this it? You're breaking up with me over this?" She returned back to her angry state.

"Yeah, and I don't understand why you're still standing in this room." I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Fuck you, Max. I hope you have a miserable life and I hope she was worth it." She furiously dragged her suitcase out of the room while carrying a sleeping Penelope.

That was the last time I saw her.

I've been in a never ending trance ever since. No matter what I was thinking about, my mind kept drifting back to Elyse.

How much I regretted my words. How much I loved her birthday present. How much I was proud of her. How much I hated her ignoring me on that podium. How much I want to rewind time and do things the right way.