sixteen.

ELYSE's POV

For the first week, I had surprisingly gotten along well with Max which seemed to surprise everyone around us as much. However, it was starting to get hard to ignore the daggers Kelly has been shooting towards me whenever I made the slightest effort to communicate with her boyfriend. But it didn't go unnoticed how strained her relationship with Max seemed, though I ultimately decided it had nothing to do with me and that I shouldn't care much about it.

One morning, when I left my room I was jump-scared by the sight of Max, about to know on my door.

"Holy shit!" I shrieked before realizing who it was, "Oh, Max. Good morning?"

"Good morning." He greeted me, "Do you want to go on a quick morning run? I've asked everyone but it's like there's a lazy disease spreading around or something."

"Yeah, it's easy to be lazy when you're not in the fight for the championship." I joked, "But, sure, I'll join you."

We walked through a narrow bike trail Max found while he was having his usual morning runs with Daniel one day.

"So..." he started, "Your birthday is in a few days."

"Yeah," I nodded, "Can you please tell me what my mom is planning? I know she's going to go all out this year but I would do anything to know."

"Anything?" He raised an eyebrow in intrigue.

"Actually? I take that back." I quickly said.

"You can't take it back if you already said it." Max declared before picking me up and pretending to almost throw me in the pond that was next to the bike trail we were walking on. I repeatedly smacked him, telling him to put me down.

"Not until you tell me that you take back the take back you took back." He threatened.

"I thought you can't take back what you already said?" I smugly replied but quickly regretted it once I was being thrown into the pond. I clung onto Max for dear life, making him fall with me.

The moment we both resurfaced, a splashing water game started and I strategically started walking towards the bike trail once again while splashing water at Max and started running back to the house to avoid being thrown into the pond for a second time. By the time we got to the house, Max had caught up to me and the two of us were out of breath but our clothes dried up quick enough.

"Gee, what were you two doing?" Lando looked at us disapprovingly making me raise my middle finger at him, "Did the non-existent wind blow you into a pond or something?"

"Pond part is true." Max confirmed making some guys laugh.

I walked past them and pressed on the elevator button, too tired to use the stairs. I noticed Max waiting beside me for the elevator.

"Isn't your room on this floor?" I asked him.

"It was, I moved in with Kelly." He explained. I simply nodded , not bothering to ask for more details.

We got into the lift and pressed the third floor before the electricity suddenly switched off in the whole house, making the elevator stop midair.

"Shit, shit, shit." I placed my face in my hands and sat on the elevator door.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay." I heard Max say.

"What happened?" I heard someone downstairs ask.

"Lights out." Another person answered.

"Vroom Vroom." The idiotic voice of Lando was clear.

"Shut up, you dipshit." George scolded him.