fourty five.

ELYSE's POV

I wasn't in control of my body when I called Max. My fingers subconsciously tapped away at my phone while I could barely see anything through my blurry vision.

Shards of broken glass, untidy clothes and flipped furniture scattered my hotel room. The only place left unharmed was the bathroom I barricaded myself in.

Sitting on the cold bathroom floor confirms hitting rock bottom with a stamp of verification.

I counted my breaths, trying to stop myself from hyperventilating to the point of passing out. But it was all useless.

Each time I try to suppress a cry, try to engulf the sadness instead of embracing it— like trying to breathe underwater instead of going up for air, I end up tumbling even harder.

MAX's POV

I was standing outside of her room.

Why are you here? What are you doing? I kept asking myself. 

Nevertheless, these thoughts didn't stop my hands from knocking on the door. I waited for a while, but nobody came to the door.

Am I at the wrong room? Or did she give me the wrong number on purpose?

I knocked once again.

Instead of someone answering the door, I got a text.

elyse garcia
door's unlocked

I furrowed my eyebrows at the message— couldn't she open the door herself?

I sighed for the millionth time today before pushing the door open, revealing the storm inhabiting Elyse's room.

The room was dark, just the lights from the city illuminating the room. Broken lamps, plates and vases littered the floor– each footstep of mine followed a crunching sound.

Any aggravation I came with immediately dispersed into thin air the moment I stepped foot in this room.

I walked towards the dimly lit bathroom, suspecting she might be in there. And as true as my suspicions were, the sight I walked in on wasn't one for the weak.

Seeing her curled up in a little corner on the floor with her knees pressed up against her chest, her breathing ragged with tears streaming down her face.... it made me want to take all her pain away for myself if it meant I wouldn't have to walk in on something like this again.

"Fuck..." I cursed under my breath before immediately joining her on the floor.

"What's wrong, El? What happened?" I carefully caressed her trembling hand.

"Jesus Christ, you're freezing." I didn't ask any more questions, taking off my warm hoodie just to help her wear it. "Come here." I opened my arms as an invitation and she immediately fell into my embrace, resting her head on my lap.

Every sob, every sniff, every tremble, I felt it. Her body shook violently, echoing in mine. As strange and tragic it was, we've never been as connected as we were now.

"Let it all out, El." I told her, running my hands through her hair in hopes of somewhat soothing her.

But her body just wouldn't stop shaking.

"Please, Ly, stop restraining yourself— it's only hurting you." I pleaded with her.

Just like that, the raw sounds of pure pain unleashed. Her body was crying out loud along with her. I let her cry, get all that pent up sadness and frustration out of her system.

A while later was when she finally started calming down and could take long, deep breaths. She lifted her head from my lap before ultimately facing me, all puffy and red-eyed.