forty four.

ELYSE's POV

My efforts at avoiding Max as much as possible have worked for the past few months, and although I could sense a lot of confusion from him– he, thankfully, hasn't confronted me about it... yet.

Today was the last day at the Redbull HQ before we were off to Bahrain for Pre-season Testing.

The day went by as it usually went, and I was packing my things to head out until a hand suddenly tugged my arm and pulled me into an empty room. I was surprised to find that it was Max.

"Jeez, you don't have to pull so hard." I yanked my arm from his grasp and rubbed my hand against where his hands were.

"You don't have to pretend to be annoyed I dragged you here." He said as he locked the door behind him. "If I wanted to get you in a room, all alone, I would've done it ages ago and you know you would've liked it. So don't act like this is bothering you."

"I don't know what you're talking about." I shrugged, while trying to maintain a distance between us. But with him constantly coming one step closer, I had nowhere to go once my back hit the wall.

"What do you want?" I was embarrassed by the hushed tone of my voice, making my attempt at being somewhat authoritative pathetic.

"Was it the kiss?" He asked, his voice switching from his previous stern tone to a softer, more gentle one.

"What are you talking about?" It was getting hard to breathe when the only thing my eyes wanted to focus on were the beautiful deep, ocean blue eyes that were staring at me with the same look that reminded me of all the times I was truly happy.

"You know what." Spoke the lips that I once knew each and every crevice of.

"No, I don't." I lied. I knew.

Deep down, I knew and I didn't like where this conversation was going. So, I resorted back to old tactics— despite my therapist's dissent– which would involve running away from my problems.

"And unfortunately," I pretended to check my watch for the time, "I have an important meeting that I'm late for so I gotta—"

As I began to slip under his arm-cage he cornered me with, he was quick to pull me back into place by my waist.

"Bullshit." He spat, clearly seeing through my lie.

"Why have you been avoiding me?" He asked me, straight on.

"I haven't—"

"Please," I was paralyzed by the sudden lack of space between us as he took one final step closer, our bodies practically touching. "Stop lying."

I momentarily looked away from him, secretly contemplating my life decisions and how I always manage to end up in situations like this.

"Fine, I have been avoiding you." I admitted.

"Why?" He asked, "Was it because I kissed you?"

A million thoughts were racing through my mind, a million things I wanted to say but no words left my mouth.

I started practicing the breathing techniques Violet had instructed me to do whenever I felt an incoming anxiety attack closing in.

I had the chance to admit everything to him right here. But what will he do about it? Break up with her so she would post the pictures?

It was pointless.

"Elyse?" His soft fingertips brushed against my chin to make me look at him sent electric jolts throughout my entire body. "Was it because I kissed you?" He repeated more slowly.