thirty four.

ELYSE's POV

I was struggling.

More than I'd like to admit.

Walking on crutches was a nightmare itself.

I had returned to Lewis and I's flat in London since I couldn't avoid home for much longer. I also rented a house near me for Ashley to stay at while I went through my healing process. Lewis has also been a great help, lending me things, making food —which wasn't the best but worked— and generally just helped out.

It killed me when I saw Lewis packing up for the Mexican Grand Prix, knowing I'd be missing it. I tried to hide and go with him but he quickly reported me to Ashley, making her take me back and stayed home with me.

It felt so suffocating not being able to move the way I usually did. Every movement felt like hell.

The media didn't know how bad my injuries were. Mercedes' released a statement after I was discharged from the hospital that I would be staying out for the foreseeable future until I healed, Russell taking my spot.

Instead of crying, I used all my might to get up and start doing physiotherapy, eating healthy, and slightly exercising— ever so slightly upping the intensity of the workout as the days passed by. I stayed up all night on the gaming simulator in the gaming room till my legs cramped and signed off for the day.

By the end of week 1, I had made excellent progress based on what Ashley said. Lewis returned back with a second place trophy.

We started going to the gym together– obviously doing separate workouts. Then before we had to leave for Brazil, I had to get checked and Ashley deemed I would be okay so I got my cast off. Though, I still had to walk with crutches since walking often stimulated some pain.

We reached Brazil on Thursday— which meant it was media day. I was so embarrassed when I entered the paddock with crutches aiding me. I could walk, but it was too tiring. People cheered when they saw me, wishing me a speedy recovery. The media pen was also pretty supportive as well.

I nearly rolled my eyes when the team cheered the moment I stepped foot in the garage. I spent the rest of the day with Max, Daniel and Lando where we played UNO— you can imagine how that went. The usual fighting between me and Lando and accusations of me having cards up my ass never died down. Every time I looked at Max, his eyes were already on me. We'd talked nearly every day since my accident. I'm pretty sure he would've came over if I lived by myself.

The next day was practice and I did pretty badly in them since I was still trying to adjust to the G-forces and uncomfortable cockpit position. But then it was time for qualifying for the Sprint race. Just as I was about to climb into the car, Thomas pulled me aside.

"The FIA are penalizing you and Lewis for alleged technical infringement on your rear wing. The both of you are disqualified from qualifying." He informed me.

I shut my eyes and sighed, "I'm convinced this sport hates me."

"C'mon, Ellie, don't say that." He nudged me. "We'll get them in the sprint."

"Yeah. I hope so." I gave him a brief smile before watching quali from my drivers room. When it ended and Max was on pole, I walked over to the Redbull garage and stood outside, hoping to catch Max.

But instead, Checo was the one to come out.

"Hi, El. How are you doing? Is your leg okay?" He asked me as we started walking. I didn't have my crutches with me so I was walking kind of weird.

"It's okay, walking hurts a bit though." I told him.

"Do you want to sit down?" He offered his arms as a support. I gladly took it.