twenty one.

ELYSE's POV

I gulped as I braced myself for whatever was about to come out of the doctor's mouth, my hands clutching onto Max's.

"Her health is declining rapidly. And I'm sure you've been informed with this before and I'm afraid there's nothing more we could do except keep her hospitalized and monitored until her time comes." The doctor announced, "I'm deeply sorry, I will make sure to update you about everything if there are any improvements or changes."

I put on a brief smile, ignoring everybody's concerned faces and shocked looks. I pulled my hand out Max's grip and extended it to shake with the doctor. I look at his nametag, "Thank you, Dr. Rocha. Would you mind if I see her?"

"Of course, though only one person at a time. She just recently woke up and any types of exhaustion could have some negative effects on her." He explained and I nodded. Looking back at the group once then I started following the doctor into her room.

I quietly entered the room. The beeping of the monitors didn't help to ease the knot in my stomach. She still managed to put on a weak smile once she saw me.

I took a seat beside her bed and rested my head on the mattress, right next to her.

"Why didn't you say anything?" I asked her, "You were clearly feeling ill, why couldn't you tell us?"

"I didn't want to ruin the last few days of your vacation." She replied, guilt evident on her face. I held onto her hands.

"You know I don't care about non of that, Mama. I only care about you." I told her, with a voice gentler than ever.

"And Max." She winked at me, making me roll my eyes playfully.

"Please, I can't stand him anymore." I ranted, "I was stupid enough to fall for his trap."

My mom furrowed her brows, curious for more information. We brushed aside the serious topic we were just discussing and I started talking about Max and what his real intentions were and what I was planning on doing about it— just like good times, except this time it was in a hospital room.

"I can't believe I was so dumb and opened up to him about everything that easily. But I can't help it sometimes, just being around him makes me feel safe and without you around, I'll never feel that type of safe with anyone except him. And I hate myself for that." I ended my rant.

She weakly brushed my hair out of my face, "That sucks to hear. Though it doesn't make me mot believe you two are perfect for each other. Maybe it all started as a plan, but I could see— hell, even feel, how sincerely he cares about you and might even feel the same way about you. Who cares about his girlfriend? I've heard them argue every night and quite frankly, I've never seen them truly happy or even in love. Not the same thing with you and Max, it's different." She voiced her opinion, "But, I gotta admit, LyLy, your plan is quite evil."

I chuckled lightly, "How else am I going to get back at him? I don't like being played."

She shrugged, "You need to find your own way. Maybe you need to mature and get over it– stop playing games. Or you could just follow up with your plan. It all lies in your hands. But you need to make sure you won't regret your choice later." she warned me before the faint lines of a smirk appeared on her face, "Plus, I saw you holding onto his hands and letting him sleep on your shoulder. If anything, your plans seems to be working against you."

"Mama!" I whined as I placed my face in my hands.

"What? There's nothing wrong with being in love, chica! I would tell you to embrace it and move towards it, and before you ask me— yes, even if you end up hurt."