fourty six.

ELYSE's POV

The next morning, I was jolted awake by a pounding headache and swollen eyes. I stayed in the bathroom for the whole night, bringing only a pillow and a blanket from my bedroom. Just being in that room triggered a flood of painful memories, replaying themselves relentlessly in my mind.

Thankfully, today was the day I could finally go back home. Back to Spain.

As I closed the last zipper of my suitcase, an unexpected knock sounded at my door.

Reluctantly, I walked over to answer, aware of the mess that lied behind me— although I attempted to somewhat clear it up, that ended pretty quickly the moment I got cut my a shard of glass.

I was surprised to find Daniel at my door, his usual beaming smile plastered on his face.

"G'morning, El." He greeted me and so did I, "Max told me to give you this." He handed me a black box.

I took the box from him and stared at it strangely. "Do you know what's in this?"

He shook his head no, "He strictly told me to deliver this to you and if I peaked he'd know and tell everyone what happened in Vegas 2018."

I raised a brow, intrigued. "What happened in Vegas 2018?"

It seems like he'd realized he just accidentally outed himself. "Nothing. Anyways, he would've given it to you himself but Kelly is being extra clingy today and... well, you know."

I really didn't. "Yeah, well thank you, Daniel. You're the best delivery man I've ever head."

He pretended to bow, "The pleasure was all mine."

As he was starting to leave, I yelled, "Oh and don't think I forgot to ask you again about Vegas 2018!" He shot me a middle finger before I shut the door.

I took a seat on the sofa, carefully placing the box next to me. I stared at it for a good while then finally gained the courage to open it, unsure of what could possibly be in it.

I removed the lid and I was met with a bunch of foam. Sinking my hand into the foam, I hit something.

My heart was in my mouth as I pulled the mysterious object out, only to find another box with a note and small cotton fabric bag attached to it.

I decided to open the small bag first, shaking it upside down as its content dropped.

The memory card.

It was in perfect condition, he didn't destroy it.

It was hard to ignore the warmth that diffused throughout my body. The butterflies have finally woken up from hibernation, their activity evident in my stomach. I clutched it to my heart for a while, I never thought I'd ever be getting it back.

I moved on to the card.

-

As promised, I handled it.

I hope you also like the extra gift I got you in the other box. I know it's nothing compared to the one you got from your mother, but at-least now you know you haven't lost everything.

Max.

-

I reread the card at least a hundred times, as if it was the most fascinating piece of poetry ever written. Though to me, it felt like the best piece of poetry in the history of poetry.