Chapter 40: Rescue

All the former genin teams, Sai, Itachi, Obito, Yamato and Jiraiya were gathered at Tsunade's office. Everyone was shocked to see the other Kurama with Naruto upon entering, but remained silent as he explained the situation. Kurama told them everything he heard from within Nariko, that the false Akatsuki had the same plan the original did, were planning on taking Nariko's Rinnegan and implanting it into the leader, and if that fails, they have followers in all the ninja villages so they could overthrow them from the inside. Upon hearing this, Tsunade sent out messenger hawks to all of the Kages to warn them of the traitors in their villages and that they should raise their defenses.

"Jiraiya, I want you to help me search the whole village for these traitors. Afterwards, we'll improve our security as well. Anyone who isn't registered in our citizen records will be inspected by the Torture and Interrogation Force. The rest of you will be sent to rendezvous with the other Akatsuki members. I have already sent a message to Pein about the situation. All of you are to follow Kurama to where the false Akatsuki hideout is. Your main mission is to rescue Nariko, but if you can, try to stop the enemy. Since Kurama has said that the hideout is in the Land of Wind, I have requested the Kazekage to have a medical team on standby to heal anyone who gets injured. Make any preparations that you need to, then leave immediately." Tsunade ordered, and everyone agreed before leaving.

It took the rescue team a few hours to reach the borders of the Land of Rain and Wind. Kiba and Kakashi were leading the group, using Akamaru's and Pakkun's tracking skills to find where the other Akatsuki members were waiting for them. Once they were all together, Pein suggested they rest for the time being. It was nighttime when Kurama reached the Hidden Leaf, and it was still a couple hours before the sun rose. Everyone agreed to camp out until sunrise, though Naruto was reluctant.

As everyone conversed with each other, Naruto sat alone on a fallen log, Kurama sleeping beside him since he was tired from his long travel. Pein soon joined Naruto, sitting silently for a moment before speaking. "You're worried about Nariko, aren't you?" He asked, and Naruto nodded solemnly. "I understand. It's been hard on everyone, knowing she's out there and possibly being hurt because of the burdens she bears. The false Akatsuki most likely chose to target her not just because of the Rinnegan she possesses, but of how powerful she is even without it. She was a Jinchuuriki, wields the Rinnegan, can use Senjutsu along with the Flying Thunder God technique. Not only that, but if the false Akatsuki are copycats of our original group, then Nariko knows all of their skills and jutsus like the back of her hand." Pein explained, then chuckled humorlessly. "It was actually a smart move for them to make because even if they take her power away, Nariko's determination and her protectiveness over everyone still makes her strong. I just hope her determination holds out until we get to her, and we aren't too late to save her." He added. "Yeah." Naruto agreed quietly.

They sat silently for another moment, then Naruto spoke up. "Did you know Nariko was my twin sister?" He asked softly. "Of course. I knew the moment she and I met that she was. When Nariko was brought to me, the first thing she asked was to be let go so she could go to you or Gaara. However, I didn't want to release her because of the potential she had. I wanted to use that potential to help with the Akatsuki's original plan to destroy the ninja society." Pein told him, making him look at him in shock. "But, you were planning on capturing the Bijuu! How could you let her join the Akatsuki knowing she was a Jinchuuriki, too?" Naruto questioned, but Pein shook his head. "We never knew she was one." He replied before chuckling. "Nariko did a very good job in hiding that from all of us. Obito knew, but he kept it a secret as well." Pein added as he glanced at Obito, who was talking with Kakashi.

"That day that I sent Itachi and Kisame to capture you, Nariko intervened and revealed that she was a Jinchuuriki." Pein said, and Naruto nodded. He remembered that day, especially how frightened he was when the two men took Nariko away in his place. "We all loved Nariko. She adopted us as her family, and we grew to become just that for her. None of us can bear the thought of losing her, killing her for the Kyuubi, or fighting her to capture the other Bijuu. She was the reason why we gave up the plan to overthrow the ninja nations." Pein continued, astonishing Naruto as they fell silent again.