Chapter 41: Healing

As soon as the Sand Medic team entered the village, Gaara sent Kankuro to the Kazekage building, wanting him to send a message to Tsunade for her to join them so she could look over Nariko. As he branched off from the group, Gaara led everyone to the hospital, the villagers looking shocked and worried about the mostly unconscious rescue team, and especially about Nariko. Upon arrival, everyone except Konan, Pein and Yamato were emitted into the hospital. Those that were already healed were looked over once again, and were allowed to stay in the hospital until they wake up.

The only one that was actually checked on was Nariko. Upon inspection, her eyes were fully healed and functioning properly, though she remained unconscious. However, they didn't want to operate on her to see why she was cut open by the false Akatsuki until Tsunade got there. Tsunade arrived a few hours later, and she immediately took charge of the operation. The Sand Siblings, Pein, Konan and Yamato waited outside the operation room, hoping for there to be no bad news. An hour passed, and Tsunade made a full assessment of what happened to Nariko, fixing whatever Kurama wasn't able to heal properly before closing Nariko back up and leaving the cleanup to the nurses.

Everyone waiting outside the room stood as Tsunade walked out, a solemn look on her face that made their stomachs drop in fear. "I have some news about Nariko's condition. The false Akatsuki didn't just cut her open and leave her to bleed out. They did a hysterectomy on her, removing her womb from her body. They left her ovaries, but they were badly damaged from the terrible procedure the false Akatsuki did on her, so they had to be removed as well. It seems whatever other damage was made to her was healed by the Kyuubi, but he wasn't able to heal her ovaries or restore her womb. So, unfortunately, Nariko no longer has the ability to have biological children of her own." She explained.

They were all shocked, Temari and Konan covering their mouths in despair as they understood how terrible this will be for Nariko and possibly Gaara. Kankuro put a hand on Gaara's shoulder, trying to show he was there for him, but didn't know what else to do in that situation. Gaara was in shock and didn't know how to feel or think at the moment, though Shukaku was howling in despair and rage, knowing that Nariko won't be able to have Gaara's children, a family with him like the Bijuu knew she had wanted in the future. "Will we be able to see her?" Pein asked as he snapped out of his shock. Tsunade nodded. "She'll be moved to a room soon. With the combination of the medic ninjas and the Kyuubi, she'll be healed very soon, but might not wake just yet. She and the others will need some time to regain their energy after everything that happened." She said.

Tsunade was right. Most of the rescue team woke up about an hour later, but Sasuke, Sakura, Hinata and Naruto took another hour to wake. Naruto was put in the same room as Nariko, who was still asleep in the bed to his left. Konan was at her side, holding her hand and watching over her in sadness. "Konan-san..." Naruto croaked, his throat dry and making it difficult for him to talk. Konan immediately looked up at him and went to his side. "Naruto, you're awake. Here, drink some water." She said, pouring him a cup from a pitcher on his bedside table. Konan carefully helped him drink as it still hurt for him to move, then set the cup down when he was done.

"How's Nariko? And the others, are they okay?" Naruto asked. "Everyone is awake and fine. Pein and Yamato went to explain to them about yours and Nariko's condition. The Sand Siblings would have stayed, but they had to speak with the village elders about something." Konan explained, then hesitated. "Nariko is somewhat alright as well. She's still recovering from the blood loss and a recent surgery to see what the false Akatsuki did to her, but we think she may wake up soon." She added. "Did you guys find out why she was cut open like that?" Naruto asked, and Konan looked down in despair. "Yes. They had removed her uterus, or her womb, and damaged her ovaries, which had to be removed as well during her surgery." She told him, but it only confused and worried Naruto. "I don't understand. What does that mean?" He questioned. "It means she won't be able to have children of her own." Konan answered, shocking Naruto. He glanced at his sleeping sister and began to feel sad for her. Nariko always helped everyone, and was wonderful around children, especially Shizuka. Naruto knew that she loved children and may have wanted to have her own with Gaara one day, but now she'll only be able to raise Shizuka.

"Naruto, there's something else. It's about Gaara and what I said before, that he was speaking to the elders." Konan began, grabbing his attention again. She glanced at Nariko, making sure she was still asleep before continuing. "I don't know if he's spoken to you about this yet. He's already gotten mine and Pein's approval, but Gaara wishes to propose to Nariko." She said. "What? Really?" Naruto questioned in shock, but made sure to stay quiet so he didn't wake Nariko. "Yes. However, he has to get the approval of the village council members, especially the elders. Gaara and his siblings believed the council would have approved since Nariko was well loved, powerful and had a good heritage. After losing the ability to have children, though, the council might change their minds. The elders are firm on the belief that the Kazekage must have biological children of their own, and they must have a spouse that can provide that to them. Now that Nariko can't have children, the elders might reject the union and either force Gaara to marry someone else or step down from the position of Kazekage." Konan explained.

"But that's stupid! Nariko and Gaara love each other, and Nariko already has Shizuka! They can't force them to leave each other just because Nariko can't have kids!" Naruto protested angrily, looking like he wanted to go give the elders a piece of his mind. "And they won't." Gaara said as he entered the room with Kankuro. "Gaara, Kankuro!" Naruto exclaimed at their sudden appearance. "It's good to see you awake, Naruto." Gaara greeted as he sat down at Nariko's bedside, taking her hand into his. "Gaara, what did the elders say?" Konan asked.

"It took some convincing, but they accepted the union. Nariko is cherished here in Suna. Even though the elders didn't like that she won't be able to have my children, I convinced them that our children don't have to be related by blood, using her adoptive daughter, Shizuka, as an example." He explained. "It helped that I reminded them that the role of Kage isn't passed down by family generations half the time, that the council and citizens can vote for a different leader. So now, they're okay with the fact that Gaara and Nariko are going to have adoptive children." Kankuro added with a chuckle. "That's good. I'm so glad." Konan sighed in relief.

Gaara then looked to Naruto. "Naruto, I understand that you know the truth now about Nariko being your twin sister. Even though you're probably still getting used to seeing her as such, I still wish to ask. May I have your permission to marry her? I have already asked and received her adoptive parents' permission, but you are her closest blood relative. Your approval is the one I consider the most important." Gaara said, and Naruto looked shocked for a moment before chuckling at his friend. "Gaara, you're one of my closest friends. Even if I didn't find out about Nariko being my sister, I would have been happy for the both of you still. If I'm being honest, it came as a shock to find out Nariko was really my sister, but nothing really changed. She may not have told me the complete truth, but she still treated me and the rest of Team 7 as family. Now that I know that she's my sister, I only care about her more. The two of you make each other happy, and that's all I ever want for you. So yes, Gaara. You have my permission to marry Nariko." He told him with a happy grin at the end.

"All right! Now we just need to plan the wedding! Gaara, who's going to be your best man, me or Naruto?" Kankuro cheered before turning to his younger brother. They all froze when Nariko suddenly groaned and groggily opened her eyes a bit. "Who's getting married?" She asked in tired confusion. "Whoops." Kankuro said sheepishly while sweat dropping.

A/N: okay, you guys! Hope you've enjoyed the back to back chapters I've posted! I felt bad that I haven't updated since New Years, and I suddenly got the motivation to continue writing this story. After this chapter, though, there'll only be a few more left until the story is over 😭 I swear, you all made me so proud for writing this book, there's so many reads and votes on it, I'm so happy. Anyway, it's gonna take me a bit to update a bit now because I need to brainstorm some ideas for the last few chapters.

Also, let me know if I should make post-story chapters or sequel about the Boruto anime. If you guys want me to, I'll twist it up a bit so Nariko, Shizuka, and the others can fit in it. Again, because of how much I changed in this story, the Boruto story won't be like the original timeline. Either way, let me know if you want me to write it or not, and I'll figure some things out. Later! 😁