Chapter 2: Mystery Twins

Evie Frye

It wasn't difficult to find the leading figure of the blighter group. Aside from the clear red uniforms, they were still close to where they assaulted the pub of the Scott twins. It seems they were doing the rounds among the many shops that were in the neighbourhood. Evie assumes to make sure the many businesses remain in line. It also made her conclude that the twins were working against Starrick. Why else would Starrick send his goons to the pub?

Evie followed the group from the rooftops as they eventually went inside an abandoned building. Although, now it is in use and used as a gathering place for the blighters. She groans in annoyance. Jacob's idea about the gang may not be so wrong after all. Not that she will admit it to him.

Now, she was observing from a distance and making sure she has all her bases covered before going in. The building was not heavily fortified. A keen eye spotted several birds flying out of the roof which means there must be an opening. Most of the blighters were also clustered around the dirt-covered open space. Only the front entrance would be a problem, but if she stays in the shadows she can avoid all of them. It is an easy 'get in and get out situation'.

"Sister, dear, what are you doing here? Changed your mind about the Rooks? Is that why you've come here?" Jacobs asks as he joins his sister on the rooftop. Evie closes her eyes to remain in control.

'Count to ten... One, two...' she quickly says to herself before turning to Jacob with a smile.

"I spoke with Sarah and Olivia. They seem open to discussing my proposal, but their businesses in the area are threatened by the man in that building. He is most likely put in charge by Starrick to keep the shops in line. Making sure that no competition arises to match his own empire," Evie explains.

"Mhm, sounds very similar to what I have heard from mingling with the workers. It was the best beginning to start my gang! The Rooks!" Jacob says proudly. How can he be proud? That hardly seems like a difficult deduction to make.

"Did you actually have a plan to start this gang of yours? Don't threaten the city, Jacob! You're more likely to burn it down," Evie harshly reminded him. He did almost burn down some buildings when he gathered some workers against the Templars in a rural town.

"That was different, Evie! I need to take out several operations that fall under this Kaylock. If enough disruptions arise he will have to act, making him vulnerable!" Jacobs says defensively. Evie rolls her eyes, nodding.

"Fine. There's an opening on the roof. I can enter through there and kill the man in charge of this hideout. You can make a show out of it and earn some reputation among these gang members. At least don't make me regret this, Jacob."

"Oh, you won't! You'll see, the Rooks will ensure our success in the mission to liberate London!" He says with conviction. Evie shakes her head. "Let's get this over with Jacob. I rather not make the Ladies Scott wait. They could be valuable allies to have," Evie says, glancing with some worry at her overexcited brother.

"What were they like? All noble and snobby?" Jacob asks as they manoeuvre over the roofs, jumping and climbing over obstacles.

"The complete opposite actually. One of the sisters was even cursing when I entered the pub. They are a... complicated duo. A lot of character," Evie tries to describe the two Scotts. She will definitely keep the remarks about herself to herself. Jacob will become relentless if he knew about it.

"That's good because I can't stand people that are all high and mighty," Jacob says as they approach the hole in the roof.

"Hush, I'll go in and take the man out. You... uhm, make some noise out front. Impress your people or whatever you want to do with them."