Chapter 18: Commitments

Evie Frye

It was dark as Evie stood with Sarah in the cemetery. Only they were here as Maria was put to rest. Evie has mixed feelings about the whole ordeal. Even a bit hurt as Sarah grieved a person that left her and hurt her deeply. But here she was, helping Sarah get through the whole thing.

"I'm sorry, Evie. You must think I am not thinking straight by caring for a person that hurt me. That left me standing in the rain. I hope- I hope you can forgive me," Sarah says as she looks at the stone-carved gravestone.

"Just think about yourself for now. I am fine"

"You don't have to hide it, Evie. I can see you're hurt."

"What's wrong? Talk to me, Sarah. I know you have something that you're bottling up," Evie says, putting a gentle hand on Sarah's shoulder.

"I don't know. Seeing her again just- I am afraid you'll leave me like her. That you leave me standing in the rain and go far away. It's stupid, I know, but I-" Sarah starts to ramble before her a finger on her lips stops her.

"I won't go anywhere. My brother said something to me that actually held some wisdom. You know, my father was very strict after my mother died. He drilled in me and my brother the teachings of the order. His own lessons and teaching included. I was taught to not let my emotion cloud my judgment. All it took for me to see it was wrong was to meet you," Evie starts to explain, her hand caressing Sarah's cheek.

"I guess what I am saying is, you won't lose me as you are the one that opened my eyes. You made me want to be me. Thank you, Sarah. Come, we have given her a place to be at peace. We should- mhpf?!"

Sarah moves her head forward capturing the lips of a surprised Evie. It soon morphed together in rhythmic motions as both women were holding each other close. Sarah's hand was behind Evie's head while Evie cupped the cheeks of Sarah. The heated movements came with a deep rumbling from the throat.

"Want to get married, Evie?" Sarah asks as she looks with needy eyes at the woman in her arms.

"W-what?! Uhm, can we even marry?" Evie says stumbling over her words. Sarah smiles, shrugging a bit. "No, but who cares? We sneak into a church, say the words during an official ceremony, and exit as a married couple!"

"We won't have a shared name..." Evie mumbles softly.

"Then we change our names at the city council! Bribe an official, whatever! Evie, I really want this. Will you marry me?"

"Yes. I would love to marry you, Sarah. You know, this really isn't the place to ask..." Evie says as she glanced at the grave. Sarah glances at Maria's grave as well, shrugging a bit.

"I guess it was to prove her wrong about me. Whatever, come, it has been a long day. I like to celebrate at home! Our home!" Sarah says happily, dragging Evie with her.

"C-celebrate?" Evie asks hesitantly. Her mind went to various scenarios that included a bed. Also, worry about how little she knew about the matter. Especially concerning the act with another woman.

"Yes! Celebrate!" Sarah says before leaning in to get close to her ear, "If you're ready, we can connect on a deeper level. Don't be scared. I will ask Olivia to be far away from the sleeping quarters. And we can... be as slow as you want. It will be okay and pleasant, I promise."

"I trust you, Sarah."

Early morning rays enter the sleeping room of Evie, or so Evie thought at least. A soreness came from her body when she wanted to turn in her bed. It made her groan but weirdly enough happy. Besides, she couldn't turn while a certain blond was attached to her. Arms around her waist and legs curled around her lower body. Evie can't help but smile as she gazes at the peaceful woman.

"Sarah?"

"Hmm?" Sarah moans.

"Morning, my... wife? Significantly other? Uhm..." Evie starts to mumble as she is lost on what to settle. A soft hoarse laugh comes from Sarah as she holds Evie tighter.

"I love you too, Evie. Aah, you were wonderful last night and very much surprised me," Sarah says warmly while snuggling in between the two new pillows she claimed.

"I- uhm, thank you? You, uh, were good as well..."

"You two lovebirds awake? I have breakfast! Or lunch considering the time," Olivia says through the door. "Come on in!" Sarah calls out. Haphazardly, Evie holds the blanket closer and tighter around her. "For god sake, Sarah..." Evie mumbles irritated.

The door opens and Olivia walks in with a large tray with an array of food to die for. Evie wonders why she isn't a professional cook. There is no doubt in her mind she would be highly sought after.

"Well, look at you two! So, I should expect a hidden marriage in a church soon?" Olivia says with a bright smile.

"Yes! And one of us will take the other name, but not sure who's it will be," Sarah says happily, clinging to Evie that slowly is becoming redder and redder.

"Happy for you both," Olivia says while putting the tray down. As she does it, she sees the key obtained from Lucy. Evie was not sure where the key goes, but it must be somewhere that Queen Victoria visits or lives. It was clear from the book that mentioned the key. That can only mean one thing. Buckingham Palace. In order to be sure, they should go through Lucy's research. The confiscated material should be delivered to Henry by the guard that helped them last night.

"So, this is the key? Any idea where the vault is?"

"Not yet," Sarah says while Evie says, "I think so."

"Oh, Sarah, losing your touch already?" Olivia jokes.

"Shut it, I know what Evie thinks! Shall I make a good guess, lovely woman?" Sarah asks, squeezing Evie.

"Sure, I bet you can't-"

"Buckingham Palace."

"What?! How did you know I was thinking of Buckingham Palace?" Evie asks, getting up to turn to Sarah. The blanket slowly revealed more skin...

"Oh, not hard at all. The book mentions the Queen's buildings including one of her most secure vaults which was the Tower of London. But there is one place that is even more secure than where the Crown Jewels are kept. The palace where the Queen lives, even if I don't know where in Buckingham Palace. But it is there," Sarah explains while enjoying the bare body of Evie.

"Oh, you are good..." Evie mumbles. "By the way, Evie, do you know that Olivia can see... practically everything," Sarah points out, still admiring Evie.

"Shit!" Evie yelps while hiding again under the blanket. Olivia laughs while walking to the exit.

"Not to worry! Just imagine I am Sarah and you'll get over it. You chose a beautiful woman, Sarah!" Olivia says while closing the door behind her.

"I am going mental in this household..." Evie mutters.

"Love you too, Evie."